A space robotics company making space accessible to the world
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries. In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024.
Do you enjoy software development? Are you a stickler for schedule? Do you have experience in project management? Do you take satisfaction in motivating teams to meet deadlines while building a collaborative work environment?
Astrobotic wants you to manage development and delivery of software and firmware solutions for our lunar landers. You will be responsible for planning and executing multiple concurrent projects in a matrixed organization. You will bring a strong understanding of software and firmware development, as well as experience collaborating with stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
- Partnering with the software development manager to establish and execute software development and release schedules, and with software architect to make program decisions that balance risk vs. schedule
- Facilitating & managing partnerships with key groups such as Project Management Office, Executives,
- System Integration & Test and Firmware/Software development teams, and other partner engineering teams
- Managing Agile development tasks within a structured spacecraft development program
- Organizing and executing multiple software projects in parallel across lunar lander product lines
- Developing and managing work breakdown structures, budgets, integrated master schedules, and risk postures
- Planning the preparation, delivery, and closeout of program milestone reviews for the software release and integration schedule.
- Establishing clear goals and requirements for individuals and measuring key outcomes
- Prioritizing competing needs based on corporate, department and customer needs
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science or other software engineering discipline
- 5+ years’ experience leading software teams as a program or project manager
- Has experience with short- and long-term development projects including requirements definition, application architecture, implementation, automated quality testing, continuous deployment, and field trial
- Experience working with software or firmware teams as a developer or tester
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Ability to learn on the fly, work autonomously, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort with ambiguity, motivated to solve complex problems and inspire team to do the same
- Highly organized with a tenacious attention to detail and a strong record of meeting project timelines
- Experience balancing resources across multiple projects, as well as tracking scope, schedule, and budget
- Ability to identify and mitigate programmatic challenges and risks
- Experience working with engineering teams and ability to quickly establish close working relationships across teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including sound judgement about when, how, what, and with whom to communicate
- Experience working with GNC teams and Hardware-in-the-loop facilities
- Has experience with software projects involving hardware elements and integration
- Experience with complex hardware/software integration programs and prior software spaceflight experience