Affordable Space Technology & Missions
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries.
In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024. As part of Astrobotic’s Planetary Landers Team, you will literally be creating history as we define the benchmark for commercial delivery of payloads to the Moon and beyond.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to design, develop, test, and integrate thermal solutions for Astrobotic’s lunar lander product lines. You will be responsible for architecting the thermal subsystem, developing thermal models, analyzing the system, and ensuring the design meets program requirements. You will regularly report to the Thermal Systems Lead on progress.
- Perform component and system trade studies through analysis, testing and integration
- Build thermal mathematical models using design data, integrate models to determine system-level performance
- Develop thermal test plans, conduct the testing, and document the results
- Hands on assembly of prototypes and flight hardware
- Provide real time mission operations support
- Write and present technical reports
- Coordinate between technical partners, vendors, and other subsystem to assess design progress, schedule, and risks
- B.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience designing or analyzing thermal control systems (heaters, sensors, radiators, multi-layer insulation (MLI), coatings, etc.)
- Proven capability to take a concept from
- Proven capability to develop conceptual thermal designs, perform trade studies, and down select to a design baseline
- Proficient in CAD (SolidWorks preferred) and lifecycle management tools
- Adaptable to a startup environment, able to self-start with minimal guidance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
- M.S. in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with a thermal / fluid focus
- Experience developing thermal hardware and systems for aircraft, spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Experience with Thermal Desktop (or ANSYS Workbench)
- Experience running and operating tests in a Thermal Vacuum Chamber (TVAC)