MAKE YOUR MOON SHOT WITH US. Astrobots come to work each day with a mission in mind – make space for everyone. Our team of 160 hardworking and talented individuals are pioneering a new era in space services and technologies that will open space for the world, starting at the Moon. We’re in the business of making history. If you have a genuine passion for space robotics, a desire to build real hardware, and are among the best in your field, we’re looking for you.
Astrobotic’s Lunar Surface Systems Department is seeking a systems engineer to lead our rover and power infrastructure development efforts. This candidate will help advance our portfolio of cutting-edge solutions on the lunar surface by leading the system design, development, and testing of Astrobotic’s lunar rover and power product lines. One of rovers, MoonRanger, will fly to the Moon in Q4 2023 and demonstrate unprecedented autonomy while searching for water on the lunar surface. Your role in this position will be to serve as a source of technical guidance to subsystems such as structures, avionics, and flight software. This role will report directly to the Director of Lunar Surface Systems.
The Lunar Surface Systems Department fosters a collaborative working environment with high degrees of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We’re building novel solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world as a commercial platform. The company was recently selected by NASA as a premier organization to deliver American payloads to the Moon and leads the world in international payload sales. The company’s Peregrine lander will mark America’s return to Moon and is scheduled for launch in 2022.
- Lead technical systems development as well as key decisions on systems and mission design.
- Function as an influential and experienced technical role for the Lunar Surface Systems team
- Responsible for managing spacecraft system requirements, system margin philosophy, interface requirements, configuration management, AI&T plans, V&V plans, and technical risk management and mitigation plans throughout the full life cycle development of Astrobotic’s systems.
- Work side-by-side with the Director of Lunar Surface Systems, lead engineers, technical project managers, and key customers to design, develop, and build systems that meet mission objectives and top system-level requirements.
- Assist in and/or lead technical proposals for mission opportunities.
- Prepare and deliver technical documentation and reporting.
- Lead and contribute to technical presentations and/or demonstrations at major milestone reviews.
- Communicate with multiple engineering disciplines to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to each system development.
- Communicate with partners and customers to resolve technical risks and challenges relating to each system and/or customer requirement.
SEEKING EXPERIENCE IN THE FOLLOWING:
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in multiple of the following areas: structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics systems, power systems, mobility systems, communication systems, flight software, mission management, systems engineering, safety and mission assurance, launch vehicle constraints, risk management, and system configuration management
- Leading technical teams
- Strong understanding of the space and launch vehicle mission environment
- Experience developing space systems, from proposals and feasibility studies through flight and mission operations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated experience leading engineering teams
- BS degree in Engineering, Systems Engineering or other related fields.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant space mission experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Knowledgeable of system manufacturing and V&V plan for space systems
- Demonstrated ability to adapt proven aerospace practices and methodologies into a commercial, small mission, lean team environment
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request within the application.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospace #engineeringjobs #spaceindustry