Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining. Astrobotic is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to support our Mechanisms subsystem in our Landers & Spacecraft department. You will develop, build, test, and operate robotic systems for spacecraft. These will include (but are not limited to): gimbal pointing systems, articulated solar arrays, payload deployment systems, etc. You work will work across the entire product life cycle; proposal, design, prototype, analyze, test, and operation to decrease the cost to access the Moon. You will regularly report to the Mechanical Design Lead on progress.
Note: This position may be filled at multiple levels, including I, II, Senior, Principal, etc. depending on the candidate’s experience.
- Create CAD models, drawings, and assemblies of new concepts and designs
- Developing Bill of Materials (BOMs)
- Designing ground support equipment (GSE) to support assembly, integration and/or testing
- Designing tooling and fixturing to support for fabrication, assembly, or testing activities
- Routing electrical & plumbing lines in 3D
- Hands on fabrication or prototyping to show proof of concept or modify existing hardware
- Coordinate between internal teams, external partners, and vendors
- Associates degree in Mechanical Drafting or equivalent
- CAD experience (SolidWorks preferred)
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5 drafting standards
- Experience with low volume manufacturing processes such as CNC programming, milling, turning, sheet metal, etc.
- Adaptable to a startup environment, able to self-start with minimal guidance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with changing needs and requirements
- 3+ years experience in a Mechanical Design, drafter, or equivalent role
- Experience developing hardware and systems for aircraft, spacecraft or launch vehicles
- Understanding of best practices for large assembly management
- Experience designing tooling and fixturing
- Understanding of composite design and manufacturing
- Familiarity with inspection techniques such as coordinate-measuring machines (CMM)
- Experience routing plumbing or wiring in 3D
- Understanding of GD&T for complex parts and large assemblies
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Applicants should be prepared to submit a writing sample and references.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request