Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world.
Astrobotic is enabling sustainable access and utilization of the Moon, Mars, and beyond. Through its recent acquisition of Masten Space Systems, we’ve been building and flying reusable rockets for nearly two decades with the most successful rocket-powered landings in the industry. We work directly with NASA, defense, and commercial customers to develop the tech it takes to break down the barriers to space. Together, we’ll make wild napkin ideas possible by taking them from the lab, to the test site, all the way to the lunar surface and beyond.
This position will be responsible for managing the design, development, integration, manufacture and initial operations of new suborbital launch vehicles, including budget, schedule, and risk management. The role will support a broad range of technical needs and sub-systems spanning structures, propulsion, electronics, software, ground support equipment, and systems engineering. Successful applicants will serve as project manager for the ongoing Xogdor development program, our current next-gen VTVL rocket. This role will be a key technical and programmatic leader for the evolution and development of future VTVL vehicles for Astrobotic.
- Leading project management for the Xogdor development program
- Manage schedule, budget, risks, and overall technical development
- Developing staffing requirements and supporting recruiting / hiring / onboarding processes
- Work with systems engineering to ensure design requirements and desirements are sufficient to meet near-term needs and long-term payload opportunities while limiting cost, schedule, and engineering impacts
- Ensure effective documentation of engineering and programmatic work across the program
- Lead vendor management and support technical staff on vendor outreach, evaluation, and interface
- Serve as primary interface with NASA customer
- Providing programmatic leadership to Xogdor development team, working with technical leads to ensure the team has a clear direction and priorities
- Serve as partner to technical leads, including the department’s Chief Engineer, for execution of technical objectives for VTVL developments
- Contributing to requirements and implementation of facilities and equipment needs for subsystem and vehicle manufacturing, integration, and test
- Interfacing with internal flight and test operations stakeholders to ensure alignment, consistency, and safety across test plans and operations
- Creating technical statements of work and contracts for vendors, manufacturers, and subcontractors, and evaluating the performance of those contracts
- Establishment and management of key technical and supplier relationships
- Negotiation of program requirements and objectives with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensuring program compliance with licensing and regulatory requirements
- Contributing to business development activities for future payload sales on existing vehicles and evaluating customer demand and funding opportunities for future vehicles
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- B.S. in Engineering or related technical field plus 5 years of relevant project or program management
- Demonstrated experience leading all or part of propulsion or launch vehicle development projects consisting of 10+ employees, including the development and management of project budgets, schedules, risks, and technical performance objectives
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience balancing resources across multiple projects, as well as tracking scope, schedule, and budget
- Experience leading engagements with NASA and / or DoD customers and familiarity with government procurement policies
- Demonstrated experience working with engineering teams and ability to quickly establish close working relationships across teams
- Ability to work without supervision to lead the development of program plans and schedules for multiple programs concurrently
- Ability to motivate and influence others, build effective interpersonal relationships, and be able to foster and contribute to a positive and productive team environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including sound judgement about when, how, what, and with whom to communicate
- Basic understanding of export control regulations (ITAR and EAR)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Demonstrated experience leading life cycle development of new terrestrial propulsion systems and / or launch vehicles
- Demonstrated direct, hands-on experience with propulsion development or testing, including awareness of safety processes and requirements for cryogenic propellants
- Demonstrated experience working in an agile environment, using organizational tools such as Confluence and Jira
- Experience working with Deltek Costpoint for project reporting a plus
- Advanced MS Project and SmartSheets skills (resource loading/tracking, progress tracking, variance analysis, critical path review and analysis)
- Eligibility to obtain a U.S. security clearance is preferred but not required.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request