Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company’s suite of lunar landers delivers payloads to the Moon for companies, governments, universities, non-profits, and individuals. The company is also developing advanced space robotics capabilities such as terrain relative navigation, mobile robotics for lunar surface operations, and reliable computing systems for mission-critical applications. Originally spun out of Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 by William “Red” Whittaker, Astrobotic is pioneering affordable planetary access that promises to spark a new era of exploration, science, tourism, resource utilization, and mining.
Astrobotic was selected by NASA in May 2019 for a $79.5 million contract to deliver a suite of NASA instruments to the Moon. This mission will see the Peregrine lunar lander return America to the Moon with 22 payloads representing 5 countries. In June 2020, Astrobotic was selected for a $199.5 million contract to deliver the NASA VIPER rover to the lunar south pole onboard the Griffin lunar lander. This mission will enable NASA’s objective to map water ice on the lunar surface, which in turn supports NASA’s plans for crewed missions in 2024.
Astrobotic Technology wants you to develop the Mission Control ground software for the CubeRover and planetary rovers. Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Leading the ground data systems development effort by implementing the mission ground data software architecture
- Working closely with Mission Operations, the Astrobotic Flight Software team and CubeRover payload customers to develop interfaces for viewing, storing, and decoding spacecraft telemetry and sending spacecraft command sequences
- Developing software interfaces between the spacecraft, payload mission control centers and Astrobotic mission control, including GUIs, user interfaces, telemetry logging and retrieval
- Lead software development to support end-to-end communications between the CubeRover and mission control
- Develop unit and end-to-end tests to ensure software functionality is operational and ready for mission
- Review and approve project documentation, including specifications, requirements, drawings, test plans, and procedures prior to release
- Develop requirements based on end user feedback to be used for ground system development
- At least 2 years of software development experience in any or all of the following environments: Java, Python, C#, C++
- Experience with HTTP, JSON, XML
- Must have OOP (object-oriented programming) experience
- Experience working in Linux OS (Ubuntu or similar)
- GUI/User interface development
- Usage of repositories such as Git and task management software such as Jira
- Understanding of Agile development process
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- B.S. computer science or engineering
PREFERRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Working with time-based, SQL, or key-value pair databases
- Space or Robotics Industry experience or an aerospace engineering background
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.