Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc., a space robotics company, is seeking a Robotics Research Engineer to develop advanced robotics solutions for space. This position will be responsible for developing core infrastructure and simulation tools that enable Astrobotic’s autonomous technologies, including precision landing and hazard detection on the Moon. These tools’ core functions include analyzing and modeling planetary surfaces using orbital imagery and topographic data, quantifying system performance and robustness, and simulating mission scenarios that allow research and innovation into some of the most challenging environments for robotics. Applicants should have a strong software development background along with general knowledge of robotics-related topics including: computer vision, LiDAR processing, terrain mapping and modeling, perception, state estimation, or simulation.
The R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date, and has seven current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing. Applicants with a strong work ethic and demonstrated ability to learn on the job are required.
- Design and development of computer vision and terrain mapping software for space robotics applications
- Creating improved terrain and lighting models from remote sensing data products for simulation and autonomous planetary navigation and mapping
- Software life cycle testing, verification and validation including field testing and performance assessment
- Working closely with NASA experts, university groups, and commercial clients
- Contributing to novel research and research proposals
- Presenting results to clients and the research community
- Experience with C++, Python, and version control software in a Linux environment
- Experience with computer vision, LiDAR processing, nonlinear optimization, and related areas such as stereophotogrammetry or shape from shading
- Experience with software development, testing, and performance tuning
- Ability to work autonomously, learn on the fly, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in communication and technical writing
- B.S.+3 years, M.S.+1 years, or Ph.D.in Computer Science, Physics, Robotics, or a related field
- U.S. person status
- Experience with geographic information systems (GIS), map projections, and digital elevation models
- Experience with structure from motion, visual SLAM, nonlinear optimization, or sensor fusion
- Experience with machine learning and deep learning approaches for computer vision
- Experience with software unit testing
- Experience with robotics simulation environments
- Experience with writing research and/or commercial proposals
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.