Astrobotic Technology, Inc. is a space robotics company that seeks to make space accessible to the world. The company has grown rapidly, signing fifteen commercial customers representing seven countries for its lunar payload delivery service, and winning a $79.5 million NASA contract to fly scientific instruments aboard Peregrine, and again in June by winning a $199.5 million contract to deliver NASA’s water-hunting rover, VIPER, to the south pole of the Moon. The company was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA.
Astrobotic is seeking a technical project manager to manage the research and development of advanced robotics solutions for space, creating new spacecraft, products, and technology that make this possible. This role will track and manage the progress of all existing advanced development efforts for Astrobotic, including spacecraft, rovers, and advanced systems for satellites and lunar exploration. You will be responsible for creating schedules across new development programs. You will communicate with vendors, manufacturers, and subcontractors to create and manage their associated schedules and statements of work, lead the creation of major internal design review documentation, create and present monthly and quarterly technical reports, contribute to research and sales proposals, implement the full product development cycle, and regularly report to the Director of R&D.
Our R&D team, Future Missions and Technology, is a collaborative working environment where each member of the team has a high degree of freedom, responsibility, and expectations. We are building solutions to challenging technical problems with the goal of making space more accessible to the world. The company has received more than 30 research contracts to date and has current NASA and commercial contracts in autonomous precision landing, mobile robotics, GPS-denied navigation and mapping, multi-rover exploration and planning, lunar cave exploration, planetary drones, and high-performance computing.
- Development and management of work breakdown structures, budgets, integrated master schedules, and risk postures
- Establishment and management of key technical and supplier relationships
- Planning, preparation, delivery, and closeout of program milestone reviews
- Preparation and delivery of technical documentation and reporting
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing engineering teams, including assigning and evaluating work, providing performance feedback, balancing resources across multiple projects
- Negotiation of project requirements and objectives with internal and external stakeholders
- Ensuring compliance with licensing and regulatory requirements
- Coordinating research and development projects with the engineering team in support of future mission development
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 8+ years managing technical projects in a fast-paced environment with full accountability for lifecycle planning and execution
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas of spaceflight or satellite systems development: structure/thermal design and analysis, avionics, power systems, propulsion, flight software, robotics, mission services, systems engineering, mission operations, integration, or mission management
- Experience creating and leading research and sales proposals
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to learn on the fly, work autonomously, and take initiative in a fast-paced environment
- B.S. in engineering or a related discipline strongly preferred, with 3 years in a lead role
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated experience leading life cycle development of mission critical spaceflight or satellite systems or subsystems
- Project management experience in support of government customers
- Demonstrated experience leading spaceflight projects consisting of 10+ employees, including the development and management of project budgets, schedules, risks, and technical performance objectives
- Demonstrated direct, hands-on experience with space system integration and testing
- Demonstrated experience developing process plans in support of development, manufacturing, or operations
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Astrobotic Technology, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.