Securing Space Sustainability
Speculative Applications – We are not currently actively recruiting for this position however we are always on the lookout for great System Engineers to join us so please submit your CV and as and when we have a position come up we will be in touch.
Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Senior Systems Engineer at our facility based in Harwell, UK. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s continued use of space as an asset. This role will allow the right candidate to shape solutions for our missions. Whilst the candidate will primarily work in the UK, they will interact extensively with a larger team in Astroscale’s Japan Office and may be required to travel to Tokyo as needed in support of Astroscale projects and operations.
- Development of spacecraft mission and system design including requirements derivation and CONOPS definition.
- Performing mission analysis and modelling of spacecraft missions.
- Trade-off and control platform systems budgets e.g. mass, power, data, fuel.
- Production of mission-level test and verification plans.
- Production of mission-level FMECA, FTA and FDIR.
- Performing rapid feasibility studies into different scenarios and architectures.
- Assisting with bid work, providing technical solutions and documentation.
- Maintaining configuration control of systems work and documentation
- Working with and guiding a multi-disciplined team in the delivery of projects
- Diploma; bachelor or master’s degree in systems engineering, electrical engineering or other relevant discipline.
- 10+ years of commercial experience in a Systems Engineering role for satellites.
- Knowledge of the systems and project engineering lifecycle from requirements definition through to verification, including experience of leading or planning for project review gates in satellite engineering e.g. SRR, PDR, CDR, etc.
- Experience in mission and systems architecture definition and CONOPS, especially understanding of both space and ground segment interaction.
- Good knowledge of a range of subsystems & engineering teams including: GNC (AOCS, ADCS), astrodynamics, C&DH / OBDH, EPS, RCS (propulsion), COM (communications), software, ground segment & operations.
- Experience in the development of systems engineering documentation working with a Project
- Manager as needed: requirements, CONOPS, review gate materials, test and verification plans / procedures, DDVP, ICDs, equipment lists, FMECA & FTAs
- Awareness of the AIT process: manufacture, assembly, functional and environmental testing.
- A basic knowledge in the following areas: debris removal, end-of-life, in-orbit maintenance or servicing.
- 15+ years of commercial experience in a Systems Engineering role for satellites.
- An understanding of, or experience in other project matters: project management, procurement, bid support, manufacturing.
- Knowledge of commonly used engineering and modelling packages (e.g. ModelSim, Matlab, STK) and/or coding and scripting languages (e.g. Python) applied to real world engineering applications.
- Knowledge of the area around debris removal including: licensing, export, regulation, space law.
- Knowledge of past missions of relevance: RemoveDebris, CleanSpace / ESA projects e.g. e.DeOrbit, DEOS, ATV, ETS-7
- Whilst the working language across all Astroscale divisions is English, proficiency in spoken and/or written Japanese would be considered an asset.