Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Software Engineer at our facility based in Harwell, UK. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s continued use of space as an asset.
Whilst the candidate will primarily work in the UK, they will interact extensively with a larger team in Astroscale’s Japan Office and may be required to travel to Tokyo as needed in support of Astroscale projects and operations.
- Design, develop, validate and maintain software systems needed for operating Astroscale missions.
- Also, to develop small tools required for operating the missions.
- Generate and update the software-related documentation.
- Participate in the design of the systems including:Requirements capture, definition, tailoring, analysis and conversion to use cases and stories.
- Development support and solution testing.
- Participate and or support the Ground Segment verification, validation and integration.
- Support in the Mission System Test and or Simulation campaigns.
- Support the Operations team to resolve technical issues and providing advice on best practice.
- University degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, or another relevant engineering discipline.
- Minimum 3+ years of industry experience in software development and software engineering.
- Knowledge of C/C++, Java or Python programming languages.
- Basic Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.
- Overall knowledge of the main components of a ground segment and how they interact between them.
- Work in a team as well as independently.
- Knowledge of the project life cycle and acceptance procedures.
- 5+ years of industry experience in the design and development of satellite user or ground segment products and technologies.
- Experience working on space mission control software such as SCOS-2000 or space flight software.
- Embedded software experience.
- Knowledge of ECSS standards.
- Experience or knowledge of Scrum as being part of the development team or Product Owner.
- Familiarity with commonly used protocols and standards for spacecraft communications, such as CCSDS, CAN, Spacewire.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.