Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Computer Vision Specialist for a position at our facility based in Harwell, UK.
The technology which Astroscale is developing to capture uncontrolled space debris is truly pioneering and will reclaim our orbital environments for future generations. This technology heavily depends on complex Computer Vision sensors and algorithms which enable our spacecraft to carry out their missions.
The Computer Vision Specialist will be involved in the software development process, from conceptual design to maintenance. The day-to-day activities of our team include the design of complex object detection, tracking, and pose estimation algorithms as well as having the wider responsibility for the specification and integration of the overall subsystem hardware/software including a large part of the spacecraft payload. The successful candidate will join an experienced and competent group of like-minded people who make up the global Computer Vision team and bring an optimal mix of Computer Vision experience from both the commercial and academic worlds.
This is a key role with a critical responsibility to efficiently interface between the Computer Vision team, Guidance, Navigation and Control (GNC) team and the Flight Software team. This gives the candidate the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the on-board spacecraft flight software.
- Support ongoing development of computer vision modules, detection, tracking and pose-estimation algorithms on board the Astroscale satellite.
- Benchmark the performance of the algorithms, under different operating configurations.
- Participation in the design, implementation and testing of safety critical software solutions, and PIL / HIL verification test-benches.
- Coordinate with other competence centres at sub-system and at system-level to associate Lidar detection outputs with other sensor outputs to arrive at a sensor fusion approach and to identify software needs and solutions.
- Support knowledge transfer from Astroscale teams globally and provide technical review inputs to projects across the Astroscale organisation.
- Post-Graduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or other relevant engineering/science discipline.
- 3+ years of proven commercial experience developing signal processing / algorithm development / computer vision solutions.
- Solid theoretical background in signal/image processing and computer vision algorithms.
- Excellent programming skills (Matlab, Python) and knowledge of software configuration control.
- Basic understanding of Lidar signal processing and principles of tracking & estimation and understanding the principles of sensors LIDARs and Cameras.
- Knowledge or experience on Software testing, Unit and integration testing, Software integration, interfaces design.
- Capability to generate project documentation, developing specifications, requirements and design, and other engineering documentation.
- Proactive and self-managing, able to plan and effectively lead areas of responsibility whilst contributing collaboratively within a close-knit team.
- Practical experience in development of embedded systems software (C, C++) in related industrial context or other experience in safety critical software.
- Machine Learning experience in experience working with technologies like PyTorch, TensorFlow, and OpenCV.
- SW and Systems design documentation methodologies and tools: UML, SysML.
- Understanding and use of concepts such as Continuous Integration (Jenkins) and Test Driven Development.
- A basic knowledge in the following areas: debris removal, end-of-life, in-orbit servicing.
- Previous relevant experience in the space industry.
- Whilst the working language across all Astroscale divisions is English, proficiency in spoken and/or written Japanese would be considered an asset.
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity to work with a highly talented international team working on cutting edge technology
- Flexible working around core hours
- Hybrid working available (Dependent on individual role requirements)
- 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday per year
- Life insurance and long-term sick pay
- Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
- Relocation allowance
- Visa Sponsorship for employees
- New state of the art office and cleanroom facility (opening summer 2022)
- Regular social events
- Astroscale UK (Harwell), with potential for some travel to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company dedicated to in-orbit servicing across all orbits. Founded in 2013, we are developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of in-orbit servicing missions, including End of Life services, Active Debris Removal, In-situ Space Situational Awareness and Life Extension Services, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate against the hazardous build-up of debris in space.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace