Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale UK is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to join our Flight Software team in Harwell, UK to help realise our vision for the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations.
This position will be part of the team responsible for the technical development of embedded real-time software for our future orbital debris missions including the ELSA-M service to capture and retire multiple satellites.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a background in real-time embedded software looking to take the next step in their career and be part of exciting and innovative projects in space.
This role will focus on flight software development for satellite onboard computers; defining solutions based on requirements, working with other subsystem teams on software needs, performing verification, integration, and test activities. Responsibilities will involve integrating Computer Vision and Guidance, Navigation and Control software into the flight software environment.
- Design, develop and validate onboard Flight Software for Astroscale spacecraft.
- Define ICDs, development and verification plans.
- Coordinate with other teams at sub-system and system level to identify software needs and solutions
- Perform Flight Software verification, validation, and integration.
- Participate in Mission System Test and Simulation campaigns.
- Support knowledge transfer from Astroscale teams globally and provide technical review inputs to projects across the Astroscale organisation.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or relevant engineering / science discipline.
- Experience of software development for real-time embedded systems (C/C++).
- Knowledge of software development methodologies & embedded software engineering.
- Experience in developing and implementing test plans.
- Proactive and self-managing.
- Experience developing software for the aerospace sector.
- Experience of development for VxWorks or RTEMS platforms.#
- Experience of all stages of mission design lifecycle from initial concept to design, test, and operations.
- Familiarity with UML.
- Familiarity with commonly used protocols and standards for communications, such as CCSDS, CAN, Spacewire.
- Knowledge of cFS software framework.
- Experience of SPARC V8 or PowerPC architecture.
- Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.
- Knowledge of scripting language
- Competitive base salary
- Opportunity to work with a highly talented international team working on cutting edge technology
- Flexible working around core hours
- Hybrid working available (Dependent on individual role requirements)
- 25 days holiday (increasing yearly up to a maximum of 28 days) + 8 days Bank Holiday per year
- Life insurance and long-term sick pay
- Private healthcare (taxable benefit)
- Relocation allowance
- Visa sponsorship for employees
- New state of the art office and cleanroom facility (opening summer 2022)
- Regular social events.
- Astroscale UK (Harwell), with potential for some travel to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company dedicated to in-orbit servicing across all orbits. Founded in 2013, we are developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of in-orbit servicing missions, including End of Life services, Active Debris Removal, In-situ Space Situational Awareness and Life Extension Services, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate against the hazardous build-up of debris in space.
Note to recruitment agencies: Astroscale operates a preferred Supplier List, and we do not accept unsolicited agency approaches. Please do not forward candidate CVs or details in response to this advert, or to any Astroscale employee.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace