Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Ground Segment Software Engineer at our facility based in Harwell, UK. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic and rapidly growing company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers mankind’s continued use of space as an asset. Whilst the candidate will primarily work in the UK, they will interact extensively with a larger team in Astroscale’s Japan Office and may be required to travel to Tokyo as needed in support of Astroscale projects and operations.
- Design, develop, validate and maintain Ground Segment SW subsystems needed for operating Astroscale missions. Also, to develop small tools required for operating of the missions.
- Generate and update the SW related documentation.
- Participate in the design of the systems including:
- Requirements capture, definition, tailoring, analysis and conversion to use cases and stories.
- Development support and solution testing.
- Participate and or support the Ground Segment verification, validation and integration.
- Support in the Mission System Test and or Simulation campaigns.
- Support the Operations team to resolve technical issues and providing advice on best practice.
- University degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Minimum 3+ years of industry experience in software development and software engineering.
- Minimum 3+ years of industry experience in the design and development of satellite user or ground segment products and technologies.
- Knowledge of C/C++, Java and or Python programming languages.
- Basic Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.
- Experience with Mission Control Systems, preferably based on SCOS-2000.
- Overall knowledge of the main components of a ground segment and how they interact between them.
- Work in a team as well as independently.
- Knowledge in project life cycle and acceptance procedures.
- Knowledge of ECSS standards.
- 5+ years of industry experience in software development and software engineering.
- 5+ years of industry experience in the design and development of satellite user or ground segment products and technologies.
- Experience or knowledge of Scrum as being part of development team or Product Owner.
- Familiarity with commonly used protocols and standards for spacecraft communications, such as CCSDS, CAN, Spacewire.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with occasional travelling to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company solely dedicated to on-orbit servicing across all orbits.
Founded in 2013, Astroscale is developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of on-orbit servicing missions, including life extension, in-situ space situational awareness, end-of-life services, and active debris removal, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate the growing and hazardous buildup of debris in space. Astroscale is also defining business cases and working with government and commercial stakeholders to develop norms, regulations, and incentives for the responsible use of space.
Headquartered in Japan, Astroscale has an international presence with subsidiaries in the United Kingdom, the United States, Israel, and Singapore. Astroscale is a rapidly expanding venture company, working to advance safe and stable growth in space and solve a growing environmental concern. End of Life Services by Astroscale-demonstration (ELSA-d), the company’s first on-orbit demonstration of debris capture and removal, is scheduled to take place in late 2020.