Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale is seeking to employ an experienced and motivated Ground Systems Engineer at our facility based at the UK space cluster in Harwell, UK.
The Ground Systems Engineer will be involved in the whole ground segment development process, from conceptual design to maintenance. The role will be involved in all the infrastructure and software on the ground that is critical to safely operate a mission.
This is a key role with a critical responsibility to efficiently interface between the Mission & Systems team and the Operations team. This gives the candidate the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the ground segment, as well as participating in operational activities in the Astroscale control centre when the spacecraft is in orbit.
The Ground System engineer will play a key role in the existing ground system team, with a high level of responsibility and autonomy.
- Participate in/lead the development of ground systems including Mission Control System, Mission
- Planning System, Ground Stations Interface System.
- Derive requirements for the ground segment in general and for specific components.
- Interface with the external suppliers’ teams, acting as a Product Owner or Technical Officer and provide support to the development team during the ground segment development phase.
- Interface with the development team internally at Astroscale.
- Interface with the Mission and Systems teams potentially based at other Astroscale locations.
- Follow the Agile (SCRUM) methodology to ensure implementation of the requirements and maintain the schedule.
- Produce and maintain project documentation to good standard including requirements, verification and validation plan, test procedures, test reports, etc.
- Perform verification & validation of the systems with other team members while ensuring requirements are met, including systems tests and simulation campaigns.
- Interface with the Mission Operations team and provide support / training on the ground systems.
- Perform maintenance of the ground systems while being the interfacing point between the operations team and the developers to resolve technical issues.
- University degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Minimum 3+ years of industry experience in ground systems engineering.
- Overall knowledge of the main components of a ground segment and how they interact between them.
- Essential team player as well as proactive.
- Excellent communication skills (required to interface with different cultures/nationalities)
- Good reporting skills (for documentation, keeping track of changes, etc)
- Overall understanding/knowledge of space mission design/development and standard milestones.
- Knowledge of Requirements Engineering.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience with Mission Control Systems, preferably based on SCOS-2000.
- Experience with Automation Systems and Mission Planning Systems.
- Experience with Ground Stations/Antenna communications.
- Experience or knowledge of Scrum as being part of development team or Product Owner.
- Knowledge of C++ and/or Java programming languages.
- Basic Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.