Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale UK is looking for a Head of Flight Software to join our office in Harwell, UK. This senior position will be responsible for the technical development of all flight software for our future orbital debris missions as well as leading a team of 4 engineers.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with extensive experience in Space Flight Software looking to take the next step in their career. As a senior hire within the Engineering Team, this person has the potential to make a real impact on the success of our missions.
From a technical perspective, this role will focus on leading the flight software development, designing the high-level architecture, reviewing requirements, improving existing software, ensuring documentation is complete and requirements are being met. In addition, as the team leader, they will be supporting and guiding the team from both a technical and people management perspective.
- Lead the Flight Software Team. The team is responsible for the design, development, integration, validation, deployment, and ongoing maintenance of satellite flight software.
- Ensure the flight software is created to the required level of quality and delivered on time and to budget.
- Motivate and develop the Flight Software Team, mentoring junior staff and establishing strong team identity.
- Act as subject matter expert in Flight Software development. Oversee the architectural design of the flight software on Astroscale spacecraft.
- Coordinate with other teams at both spacecraft sub-system and system level to identify software needs and solutions.
- Support definition and generation of ConOps for Astroscale projects.
- Support knowledge transfer between Astroscale’s global engineering teams and provide technical review inputs to projects across the Astroscale organisation; fostering a culture of communication and collaboration.
- Establish, develop and own the software development methodology and lifecycle for Flight Software,
- Work with the Head of Cyber Security to ensure that security requirements are satisfied and that a
- Secure Development Lifecycle is implemented.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in computer science, software engineering or relevant engineering/science discipline.
- 5+ years of commercial experience in flight software development for satellites.
- Experience leading a team, either in a managerial or technical capacity.
- Embedded, real-time software engineering.
- Experience with embedded systems programming (C/C++).
- Extensive knowledge of software development methodologies and approaches.
- Experience in using and modifying Board Support Packages.
- Experience in using design using UML.
- Knowledge of commonly used protocols and standards for spacecraft communications, such as CCSDS, CAN, and SpaceWire.
- Experience in implementing real-time systems and software solutions on spacecraft missions.
- Experience in developing and implementing test plans for spacecraft.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal.
- Proactive and self-managing, able to plan and effectively lead areas of responsibility whilst contributing collaboratively within a close-knit team.
- Understanding of secure software development and applied experience in defence in depth.
- Good understanding and experience working with WindRiver VxWorks.
- Experience of all stages of mission design lifecycle from initial concept to design, test, and operations.
- Knowledge of cFE and cFS flight software.
- Knowledge of ground segment architectures.
- Familiarity with Agile / Scrum software development practices.
- Use of the SysML enabling technology.
- Basic Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python, bash).
- Knowledge of MATLAB
- Knowledge of assemblers for microcontrollers.
- Basic knowledge in the following areas: debris removal, end-of-life, in-orbit servicing.
- ESA PUS protocol
Astroscale UK (Harwell), with occasional travelling to Astroscale Japan (Tokyo)
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company solely dedicated to on-orbit servicing across all orbits.
Founded in 2013, Astroscale is developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of on-orbit servicing missions, including life extension, in-situ space situational awareness, end-of-life services, and active debris removal, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate the growing and hazardous buildup of debris in space. Astroscale is also defining business cases and working with government and commercial stakeholders to develop norms, regulations, and incentives for the responsible use of space.
Headquartered in Japan, Astroscale has an international presence with subsidiaries in the United Kingdom, the United States, Israel, and Singapore. Astroscale is a rapidly expanding venture company, working to advance safe and stable growth in space and solve a growing environmental concern. End of Life Services by Astroscale-demonstration (ELSA-d), the company’s first on-orbit demonstration of debris capture and removal, Was launched in March 2021.