The only company solely dedicated to on-orbit servicing across all orbits
The Ground Systems Group Manager position is responsible for managing one of the core engineering groups for Astroscale UK. The role has significant responsibility and is critical to the successful delivery of multiple missions for our innovative orbital debris removal projects.
The Engineering department at Astroscale UK is organised into several groups, each of which contain a small number of functional teams. The Ground Systems Group consists of the Ground Systems, Simulation and Flight Dynamics team. This position will be responsible for managing these teams to ensure delivery of their work to schedule and cost across all projects within Astroscale. A working understanding of satellite ground systems will be required to effectively manage and work with these teams.
Furthermore, the group manager will be responsible for reporting the group progress against each project to the relevant project manager. Coordination with other group managers (particularly the Space System Group Manager and Operations Group Manager) will be required and is important to achieve efficient engineering of the total solution.
The role will also entail line management responsibilities, with each of associated team leaders directly reporting to this person.
- Working with the team leads to understand their progress and issues on the project work.
- Ensuring the delivery of work to project milestones
- Keeping track of cost expenditures of project work
- Reporting in meetings the progress against contracted milestones and deliverable to the project manager and the project team. Informing project manager of risks and technical issues.
- Helping facilitate resolution of resource constraints across competing projects.
- Review and approve technical work of their teams in preparation for major project reviews.
- Weekly one to ones with each of your line reports
- Address individual needs and offers support and encouragement to help individuals meet goals
- Provides effective, specific, timely and balanced feedback to individuals
- Chairing and preparing team meetings
- Follow company performance procedure during probation, appraisals and dealing with performance issues.
- Good understanding of the major ground segment components
- Excellent organisational and team working skills
- Independent and proactive, driving for delivery and results
- Ability to handle different project in parallel with specific milestones
- Experience in ground segment verification & validation
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Experience of managing an engineering team
- Minimum 5+ years of industry experience in the space sector.
- Comfortable working with Microsoft office applications (word, excel, powerpoint)
- Fluency in spoken and written English