Senior Flight Software Engineer
Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale UK is looking for a Senior Flight Software Engineer to join our office in Harwell, UK. This position will be part of the team responsible for the technical development of all flight software for our future orbital debris missions.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a professional background in Space Flight Software looking to take the next step in their career.
This role will focus on flight software development; defining solutions based on requirements, working with other subsystem teams on software needs, performing verification, integration, and test activities.
- Development and architectural design activities for the flight software on Astroscale spacecraft:
- Derive and maintain software requirements, define software solutions and system architectures.
- Define ICDs, development, and verification plans.
- Design, develop and validate spacecraft flight software, ground software, and simulation
- Coordinate with other teams at sub-system and system level to identify software needs and solutions.
- Support definition and generation of ConOps.
- Perform Flight Software verification, validation, and integration.
- Participate in Mission System Test and Simulation campaigns.
- Support knowledge transfer from Astroscale teams globally and provide technical review inputs to projects across the Astroscale organisation.
- Bachelor or master’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or relevant engineering / science discipline.
- 3+ years of commercial experience in flight software development for satellites.
- Experience with embedded systems programming (C/C++).
- Knowledge of software development methodologies & embedded software engineering.
- Experience in using and modifying Board Support Packages.
- Familiarity with UML and SysML.
- Familiarity with commonly used protocols and standards for spacecraft communications, such as CCSDS, CAN, Spacewire.
- Experience of implementing real-time systems and software solutions on spacecraft missions.
- Experience in developing and implementing test plans for spacecraft.
- Proactive and self-managing, able to plan and effectively lead areas of responsibility whilst
contributing collaboratively within a close-knit team.
- Experience of development for VxWorks platforms
- Familiarity with Agile / Scrum software development practices.
- Experience of all stages of mission design lifecycle from initial concept to design, test, and operations.
- Knowledge of cFE and cFS flight software.
- Knowledge of ground segment architectures.
- Linux system administration, shell scripts, make, etc.
- Development on Linux systems.
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Python, bash).
- Knowledge of assembler for microcontrollers.
- A basic knowledge in the following areas: debris removal, end-of-life, in-orbit servicing.
Astroscale is the first private company with a vision to secure the safe and sustainable development of space for the benefit of future generations, and the only company dedicated to in-orbit servicing across all orbits. Founded in 2013, we are developing innovative and scalable solutions across the spectrum of in-orbit servicing missions, including End of Life services, Active Debris Removal, In-situ Space Situational Awareness and Life Extension Services, to create sustainable space systems and mitigate against the hazardous buildup of debris in space.
Headquartered in Japan, our company has rapidly expanding offices in the United Kingdom, United States, Israel and Singapore. We’ve grown to over two hundred Space Sweepers with an international outlook and a shared passion to protect our space environment for future generations. In March 2021, we launched our pioneering technology mission, ELSA-d, the world’s first commercial mission to demonstrate debris removal capability and technology in low Earth orbit.
Astroscale UK (ASUK) was founded in 2017 and has grown to over 50 staff. We’re located on the Harwell Campus near Oxford, where you could work alongside multiple teams including Mission Operations and Ground Segment, Programme Engineering, Business Development, Marketing & Communications and Business Operations.
- Mission & People Focused
- Innovative and Pioneering
- Customer Focused