Securing Space Sustainability
Astroscale is seeking to employ a motivated Technical Sales Manager at our UK office based in the Harwell Space Cluster. This is an exciting and unique opportunity to join a dynamic company seeking to make a positive contribution to the growing problem of orbital debris that endangers humanity’s continued use of space.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Future Business (Europe) within the Business Development team and support senior staff in securing sales of our products and services for Astroscale UK.
Astroscale’s work environment is fast-paced and dynamic, with plenty of opportunities to learn and contribute. This role would suit someone with a technical sales background, ideally in the spacecraft sector or in complex engineering services or products, or somebody who has a solid engineering background and wishes to grow in the sales domain.
Lead on product sales, including:
- Commercial management of the sales process, in line with revenue and profit targets
- Identifying and securing new business.
- Evolving the product-level sales capture plan, sales pipeline (using pipeline CRM system) and sales strategy, controlling sales discriminators, and working with business analysis team to define value proposition.
- Engaging in end customer sales from initial engagement and customer needs identification through product quotation, manufacture, test and product delivery.
- Working with partners offices (in US and Japan) to coordinate sales strategy, end customer engagements and sales associates / distributors as appropriate.
- Working with technical / project team, procurement team (and supply chain as needed), AIV team to control internal sourcing and testing of product.
- Working with marketing and comms team to support generation of public b2b
- Controlling product pricing, working with Business Analysis team.
- Developing customer-facing proposals or materials (documentation, presentations) as appropriate.
- Supporting on development of end-customer contracts.
- Leading or supporting on present on-going technical exchanges with end customers and on-going product programmes.
- Providing post-sales support to end-customers.
Support on services sales, including:
- Supporting key customer engagements with end customers for our debris removal (ADR) and in-orbit services (IOS) and development of outgoing proposals to end customers as appropriate.
- Supporting development of the service-level sales capture plan, evolving sales discriminators, and working with business analysis team to define value proposition.
- Support and work with business analysis team to evolve customer and competitor analyses.
- Develop sales analytics and perform reporting to senior stakeholders in the business.
- Support Bid Manager in production of other proposals as appropriate.
- 3+ years of commercial experience in an engineering role (or similar) for satellites.
- Strong commercial awareness, and international / cultural competence.
- An excellent customer-first “sales / marketing style” in both customer engagements and in production of customer-facing documentation, which can be used to convey the selling points of the business and products / services.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience working on engineering product or service sales, liaising with customers in the space industry from a technical perspective.
- 1 – 2 years’ experience working on bid production in the space industry.
- A broad technical engineering background with good knowledge of a range of subsystems & engineering teams including: GNC, mechanical, AIV, testing EPS, RCS (propulsion), COM (communications), software, ground segment & operations.
- Awareness of the AIT process: manufacture, assembly, functional and environmental testing.
- Specific knowledge on product manufacturing process and techniques.
- Experience of working in a satellite business development, satellite sales, mission systems or mission concepts environment.
- Postgraduate degree in engineering or technical discipline.
- A basic knowledge in the following areas: debris removal, end-of-life, in-orbit maintenance, or servicing.