We are looking for an End-to-End Simulations Support Engineer on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA) for their location in Noordwijk, the Netherlands, to join their Mission and System Studies Section in support to the Future Missions and Instruments Division (EOP-FM) for Mission and System Studies. The deadline for submitting applications is 13 September 2022.
Please note, the successful candidate will be employed by ATG Europe and not by ESA.
The successful candidate will be tasked with, but not limited to:
- E2E Simulations for Future EO missions, related to the definition, development and exploitation of E2E simulators, aiming at a coherent and representative modelling of each element of the system (satellite, payload, ground processing), contributing to the E2E mission performance, maximizing the synergies and reuse of building blocks from one simulator to the next:
- Support definition and development of the E2E Mission Performance Simulators, including elaboration of SOW and technical specifications, participation to progress meetings and reviews
- Contribute to ensure the technical coherency and completeness of the simulation of the observation system, including, as needed, functional analysis, system level budgeting, system performance analyses, modelling of spacecraft and/or payload subsystems and related data processing;
- Install and use the E2E simulators on the EOP-FM IT infrastructure for mission performance evaluation and system trade-offs for future EO missions;
- Provide feedback from E2E mission performance simulations and optimisations to the spacecraft and mission design;
- Ensure consistent evolution and maintenance of the E2E simulators, configuration and storage of the relevant input/output datasets;
- Initiate and support work in the area of modelling of system or sub-system aspects (spacecraft, payload, ground processing) for E2E simulators and System Engineering Tools;
- Support the development of generic building blocks and modules, and aim at maximum synergy and reuse of those building blocks and modules from one E2E simulator to the next making use of ESA OpenSF infrastructure;
- Support related to the definition, development and exploitation of system engineering tools for Future EO missions:
- Participate to the development of new System Engineering Tools for preliminary analysis and sizing of future EO missions, ensuring a coherent and representative modelling of each element of the system (satellite/platform and its subsystems, payload, ground processing) contributing to the system performance;
- Participate to the evolution and maintenance of the existing System Engineering Tools used;
- Use the above System Engineering Tools for system trade-offs, preliminary sizing and performance evaluation of future EO missions;
- Provide feedback from mission optimisation to the spacecraft and mission design.
- Master’s Degree in Physics, Mathematics, or Engineering with experience in Optical Design, or equivalent qualification;
- Minimum 4 years of relevant working experience;
- Experience with end-to-end mission performance simulation for EO missions is required;
- Experience on modelling and simulation of observing system characteristics (spacecraft, payload, ground processing, orbit…) and how they impact mission data quality and relate to system requirements and scientific goals is desirable;
- General knowledge of ESA Earth Observation missions;
- Good knowledge of MATLAB/ Python is required; knowledge of other programming languages is an asset;
- STK, MS Excel and CAD software knowledge is an asset;
- Knowledge of error propagation techniques is an asset;
- Solid background on IT and computer programming;
- Good communication and technical writing skills;
- Good organisation skills;
- Capability to coordinate a large amount of inputs, synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions;
- A proactive approach, with initiative and capability to work independently;
- Problem-solving creative-oriented attitude;
- Proficiency in the English language (spoken and written).
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace