We are looking for a Software Engineer on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA) for their location in Madrid, Spain, to join their Science Operations Directorate.
Please note, the successful candidate will be employed by ATG Europe and not by ESA.
The successful candidate will be tasked with, but not limited to:
Tasks & Responsibilities
- SW Development and Maintenance support for Science Operations;
- Payload and Science Operation Center Ground Operations;
- Scientific Raw Data Handling , Initial Data Processing and Analysis;
- Scientific Data Processing and Operation.
- SW maintenance support:
- SW maintenance for existing scientific SW systems used for Payload Operations , Raw Data
- handling/Initial Data Processing and Scientific Data Processing;
- Assessment of potential improvements/re-usability;
- Contribute to the definition of requirements for new SW subsystems and scientific data processing pipelines.
- SW architectural design and development:
- Engage in Agile development practices and contribute to the definition of User Stories, Sprint planning review/retro and Backlog Refinements;
- Design/Implement one or more subsystems/modules following those Agile practices in the agreed language used by the Science Operations Centre sw systems using the agreed tools;
- Generate software user manuals and software operating procedures;
- Adopt sw tracking mechanisms using agreed sw configuration control tools.
- System verification and scientific validation:
- Testing and validating implemented functionality (unit / integration tests);
- Document results of test campaigns in the form of validation test reports;
- Aid in the definition, conduction and analysis of large-scale testing campaigns including a first assessment of the scientific quality of results;
- Contribute to the definition of Interface Control Documents (ICDs) and interface definitions.
- Implementation/Operation of scientific algorithms:
- Coding scientific algorithms in specified language following detailed mathematical descriptions;
- Integrating these algorithms into the Science Operations Centre pipeline subsystems;
- Operating the corresponding pipelines that execute those algorithms to generate SOC products;
- Analyzing the resulting pipeline products and performing scientific validation.
- Collaborate external scientists/groups as needed.
- Master’s Degree in a relevant engineering discipline;
- 5+ years experience in Object Oriented Development (Java /C++/Python);
- Experience in Agile (Scrum) development practices;
- Experience with continuous integration/deployment (Maven, Jenkins, SonarQube, Nexus, Ansible);
- Experience with SVN, git repositories and project management software JIRA and Confluence;
- Experience with End2End test automation technologies (Selenium, Cypress, Cucumber);
- Experience working with Linux Operating Systems;
- Desirable knowledge of VO standards like TAP;
- Desirable knowledge in Astropy and GWT;
- Knowledge in Machine Learning and Science and/or ESA science missions would be an asset;
- Fluency in English is required.