ATG's mission is to support and enable the space industry in its endless drive towards technological and economical growth. By making available our knowledge, expertise and unique technological solutions to key players, we truly aim to accelerate innovation throughout the community.
For our client, the European Space Agency (ESA), we are looking for a New Concepts Officer for their location in Harwell, UK, to join their Future Telecom Programme Exploration Section.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Contributing to the gathering and analysis of business intelligence and market information related to the global satellite communications sector, the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) industry, as well as global economic and industrial trends and developments. Identifying and investigating market and technology trends relevant to the development of the SATCOM sector;
- Assessing and identifying the industrial, academic, and institutional players from across the satellite communications sector in order to support ESA to properly understand, influence, and sustenance the satellite communications sector by developing future development and growth plans;
- Identifying, studying, and developing new SATCOM system concepts and applications: including new satellite system architectures, new services and applications, and improving integration and interoperation with terrestrial systems. This includes supporting ESA in commissioning and managing technical studies and investigations conducted both within ESA and with external partners, as well as specific effort to publicize and disseminate activity outcomes;
- Support Identification and definition of future technology development activities, in terms of either technology feasibility demonstrations, product and system development support, or in-orbit validation and demonstration needs, as well as exploring ‘spin-in’ opportunities from other relevant high technology application areas;
- Provide support to standardization and spectrum regulatory activity to help create and develop new markets and growth opportunities for the SATCOM industry of the ESA Member States;
- Support preparatory activities to create new ESA-initiated satellite communication projects:
- Support overall strategic objectives, end-to-end system requirements, mission architecture, critical technologies, cost envelope, time to market, etc;
- Support ITT process for commissioning project Phase 0/A/B studies with industrial partners. Managing their subsequent execution leading to a detailed definition for the design, development, integration, testing, validation and functional performance trials and pilots for the new project;
- Support the provision of ESA technical support to these preparatory activities to ensure their effective initiation and management.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in a relevant Engineering discipline with minimum 4 years of experience in the same role;
- Knowledge of SATCOM system architectures, products and market;
- Knowledge and experience of telecommunication systems definition from requirement phase to implementation aspects;
- Knowledge of industrial costs and schedule aspects;
- Strong project management experience for complex project with high technical risk;
- Experience in procurement processes and contract management as well as applied negotiation skills;
- Knowledge of industrial development, verification and procurement processes;
- Ability to gather and share relevant information;
- Ability to support the definition of a technology development strategy.
- Strong Inter-personal communication skills: both verbal and written;
- A focus on results/delivery;
- Team working: across ESA Department and Directorate boundaries as well as with external partners;
- Planning and Organizational abilities;
- Possess strong negotiation skills;
- Experience in system and subsystem design and development in the telecommunications sector, and experience in the satellite communication industry would both be distinct advantages.
Join the Brightest Minds is powered by ATG Europe
ATG Europe offers excellent working conditions and provides you with all the necessary means to further your career. We believe that training and education, combined with regular assessments and a personal development plan, will create the best environment for growth. If needed we also assist you with settling in your new home or finding the right school for your children. ATG will help in any way it can, including a relocation budget that is applicable for ATG staff as well as employees working at one of our clients.