We are looking for a Telecommunications Satellite Payload Engineer on behalf of the European Space Agency (ESA) for their location in Harwell, UK, to join their Space Segment Section. The contractor will be responsible for the management of activities devoted to the development of satellite payload technology and products under the responsibility of the Payload Technology Section.
Please note, the successful candidate will be employed by ATG Europe and not by ESA.
The successful candidate will be tasked with, but not limited to:
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Initiate, monitor and control space segment technology and product development activities for satellite communications under the ARTES Core Competitiveness (CC) and other ARTES programme lines, with a focus on digital communication technologies;
- Liaise with the Procurement Department, the Strategic Programme Line Managers and other relevant Departments of ESA as necessary to fulfil this role.
- Support activities of the Ground Segment Section and the creation and implementation of ARTES partnership projects;
- Report regularly on the progress, status, schedule and outcome of ARTES activities, including realistic forecasting of milestone completion dates;
- Identify and define product and technology needs for future satellite communication services, in particular for digital communication technology and products;
- Support the promotion of the ARTES 4.0 programme and the ARTES socio-economic impact analysis;
- Coordinate the provision of expert technical support from other ESA organisational units (e.g. TEC) as required to ensure an effective initiation and management of activities.
- Master or PhD degree or equivalent qualification in engineering and minimum 4 years of experience in payload technology and products for telecommunication satellites;
- Experience in managing technology development activities carried out by industry for commercial satellite communication;
- Experience in space segment technology and equipment as well as subsystem design and development is required;
- Experience in the specification, design, development and testing of at least one of the following: digital signal processors, communication modems, digital and/or mixed signal ASICs, software defined radios, RF equipment, active antennas, optical communication technology;
- Experience in the satellite telecommunication industry would be a distinct advantage;
- Knowledge of ESA and industrial development, verification and procurement processes;
- Knowledge of satellite communication system architectures, products and market;
- Strong communication skills;
- Results Orientation;
- Planning and Organisation;
- Stakeholder Relationship Management;
- Applicants should also demonstrate strong negotiation skills and contract/subcontract management experience.
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken) is mandatory; knowledge of another European language is an advantage.