Aurora Propulsion Technologies is a Finnish company dedicated to creating scalable solutions and services for small spacecraft movement and lifecycle control. The company has an existing array of different propulsion products, including single resistojet thrusters, aurora resistojet modules, aurora plasma brakes and electric solar wind sail technology.
Seeking for experienced senior level Mechanical Engineer
Aurora Propulsion Technologies Oy is a young dynamic Finnish space company with a mission to supply satellite manufacturers with high quality and reasonable cost components for attitude and orbit control. Aurora’s product portfolio includes world’s smallest resistojet propulsion system for CubeSat format, and plasma brake modules allowing controlled deorbiting of satellites thus effectively reducing problematic space debris in future. Aurora’s first-generation products were integrated in AuroraSat-1 that was launched in May 2022, and currently the second-generation thruster systems are being prepared for the In-Orbit-Demonstration launches in 2023.
We are now seeking for an experienced senior level Mechanical Engineer to strengthen our teams for the upcoming product development projects in 2022 and beyond.
As an experienced senior level Mechanical Engineer, you would be working in Aurora’s Mechanics Team with our Mechanical Engineers and Micromechanics designing leading edge space products including propulsion and plasma brake systems, testing devices, and diverse space grade components for customer projects. The systems are typically electromechanical entities, the sizes being of the order of 1 dm3 containing often micromechanical assemblies and fluid materials. You will also support and guide customers in defining their mechanical layout and structural design to incorporate Aurora products. You would be working in close collaboration with Aurora’s Electronics and Research Teams, from the product concepting to its testing. You daily work would take place at our office in Otaniemi in Espoo together with other Aurora Teams, but partial remote work is also possible.
The main responsibilities include:
- concepting and designing mechanical subsystems for Aurora products
- participating in requirement and failure mode analyses
- producing and maintaining design documentation for project dossier
- creating test plans, methodologies, and instructions
- conducting inspections, and verification & validation activities for mechanical subsystems
- participating in manufacturability analyses and production development
- participating in process development initiatives affecting product design and testing
- in the senior role, leading & mentoring other team members in the field of mechanical design
Required education, qualifications and experience
We expect the applicant to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent
- experience in mechanical engineering and design work, at least 5 years
- solid experience in materials selection criteria especially on metals
- solid experience in stress, vibration and thermal analyses and design
- solid CAD skills preferably with Autodesk Inventor or SolidWorks
- understanding of design requirements for manufacturability including practical CNC machining
- ability to seek for relevant information in literature, standards, research publications & datasheets
- excellent documentation, communication, and inter-team cooperation skills
- leadership skills for the senior role
- professional working proficiency in English
Additionally, we value:
- experience in CAD drawing & document management
- experience in vacuum and fluid system analyses and design
- knowledge on metallurgy and material properties in vacuum conditions
- understanding of micromechanics and practical machining work
- experience in aerospace industry
- experience in space grade design work or working with safety critical projects
We offer a challenging & exciting work with high-tech products in an innovative atmosphere with high-spirited team of colleagues. You have the opportunity to make your signature impact on the second-generation design of Aurora’s products and affect the working methods and processes as the company is being fine-tuned for the next level of its growth. Benefits include occupational health care, also relocation package can be negotiated if relevant.
The position is opened primarily for Full Time working, but Part Time contracts can also be considered. We plan to fill the vacant position by the end of the year 2022.
Application instructions & deadline
Please submit your CV and the application preferably with your expected salary range by the 18th of November 2021.
For more information, please do not hesitate contacting R&D Engineering Director Janne Sievinen at +358 400 971 121 or CTO Perttu Yli-Opas at +358 44 976 5669.
Company headquarters: Aurora Propulsion Technologies Oy, Otakaari 5, 02150 Espoo, Finland.