Axelspace has been one of the pioneers of micro-satellite technology and industry since the establishment of the company in 2008, and we envision democratizing space technology to a wider population across the globe for their daily use.
Axelspace has been one of the pioneers of micro-satellite technology and industry since the establishment of the company in 2008, and we envision democratizing space technology to a wider population across the globe for their daily use. AxelGlobe business started in 2015 to provide a new Earth observation infrastructure by launching multiple micro-satellites for its higher data frequency. In addition to a satellite launched in 2019, we have successfully launched four more satellites in 2021, which used the first mass production technology for satellite production in Japan. Utilizing this small-satellite mass production system, our new service “Axel Liner” also supports clients outside the space industry to actualize their business involved in satellite projects.
As the world faces pivotal stages in democratizing satellite development and satellite imagery use, we are actively looking for someone like you who can enjoy the challenges to make a global impact with micro-satellite technology. Hit that apply button and let’s make our vision, “Space within your reach,” come true, together!
About the Role
As a member of the Satellite Service Automation Group, you will work with members of other groups to achieve the following.
- Operate satellite constellation. Operation includes tasks like communication, orbit control, and taking captures with multiple satellites.
- Investigation, design, research, development and operation of software systems and technology necessary to provide Earth observation and other satellite operation services.
- Operate software systems in cooperation with the team in order to provide earth observation and other satellite operation services.
What requirements should you meet?
- Abitity to find / define an engineering task
- Ability to solve engineering tasks which require programming
- Experience developing software systems in C, C++, or Python
- Experience developing software systems with Unix or Linux
- Experience using git for version management of software projects
- Ability to find and flexibly adapt to new roles as the team objective changes
- Ability to document appropriately to share knowledge with the team
- Desire to continuously seek out new knowledge and experience
- Ability to engage in technical communication in English via email and chat
- Ability to write technical documentation in English
- Desire to learn Japanese communication skills
Message from the Team
Axelspace’s satellite operation team is currently operating a constellation of five satellites.
Operation of the constellation started at the end of 2018 with the launch of GRUS-1A. While operating GRUS-1A we concurrently improved the system in preparation for the launch of the next four satellites, GRUS-1BCDE. We successfully completed initial operation of those satellites and are now carrying out nominal operation for all five.
By employing a DevOps style of combined development and operation, our team was able to develop and expand our operation system from its almost nonexistent beginnings at the launch of GRUS-1A to an automated system that can operate a constellation of many satellites.
We use CI and CD for routine software deployments. Because of the rapid deployments this allows, after we discovered a small bug in the operation system during the first communications pass after the launch of GRUS-1BCDE, we were able to deploy a fix in time for the second pass.
The architecture of the complete system including the operation system and the satellites is designed with maintainability in mind. Additionally, by making frequent small changes on a routine basis instead of having large releases containing multiple features, we simplify troubleshooting after deployment. It is this approach that prepared us to act quickly and fix the problem we found during initial operation of GRUS-1BCDE.
These methods are used throughout the software industry. Our goal, as Axelspace’s satellite operation team, is to further refine and adapt these methods and work together to make a scalable automated satellite service.
Work Environment and Conditions
- Employment Type: Permanent, full-time
- Work Hours: Discretionary Labor System
- Salary: TBA
- Commuter’s Allowance provided (Actual-cost reimbursement)
- Virtual Office Policy (Work-from-home Policy): https://www.axelspace.com/news/other_20201013/
- Pay Revision: Once a year, decided upon annual performance evaluation
- Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, Japanese national holidays, and New Year holidays
- Leave: Annual paid leaves provided (& five-year bonus holidays, special leaves for personal events)
- Relocation Assistance for those moving from abroad
- Opportunity to attend optional Japanese language lesson
- No Smoking On Site