Space within your reach.
Axelspace has been one of the pioneers of microsatellite technology and industry since the establishment of the company in 2008 with its company vision being “Space within Your Reach,” and we envision to democratize the space technology to a wider population across the globe for their daily use. A new project started in 2015 called AxelGlobe which aims to provide a new Earth observation infrastructure by launching multiple micro-satellites for its higher data frequency. We have successfully launched our first satellite in 2018 and four satellites in 2021, and we currently face a pivotal stage in the development for democratizing satellite imagery use to the world.
Axelspace is a start-up company where employees thrive to go beyond what they are, lead each other to foster individual and team development, and celebrate challenges of an individual and/or a team to respect a diverse set of perspectives and flexibility for further business and technological advancement. If you find yourself getting excited to work with us, hit that “apply” button, and let’s make our vision come true, together!
About the Role
You will be in charge of mechanical engineering responsibilities related to development of micro-satellite (100kg size) systems and components – this includes structural designing, mechatronics and thermal designing.
What would you do?
- Providing technical support for launch rocket selection
- Designing strength and rigidity of satellite system based on mechanical environment conditions presented by the rocket unit
- Examining the layout of on-board devices in consideration of performance of satellite system and its assembly set-ups
- Performing field analysis for on-board equipment with observational vision
- Maintaining and managing micro-satellites’ mass characteristic designing and development
- Coordinating with vendors regarding the procurement of mechanical parts (domestic/overseas)
- Providing mechanical drawing required for procurement of mechanical parts
- Examining the assembly procedures of the satellite system
- Examining test items and results and creating satellite system assembly procedure and test content and direction to provide to the third party
- Providing support for satellite assembly and testing
- Coordinating various tasks required for examining and implementing solutions to the product defects that occurred during assembly/test processes
- Promoting activities contributing to maintaining and improvement of satellite quality
- Anticipating in business trips for launch campaigns (domestic/international)
- Executing in-orbit evaluation after the launch (mainly satellite temperature environment evaluation)
- Investigating future technologies useful for future satellite development as well as internal development activities
- Promoting mechanical characterization test of new parts (tensile test/temperature test/life span test)
- Performing internal and external coordination work with domestic and international stakeholders related to above tasks
What requirements should you meet?
- Experience in mechanical development for satellites (small and/or large) – Includes satellite development in universities
- Experience in designing mechanical product using 3D CAD for product size of 100-1000 parts (No software experience required)
- Native or business fluency in English OR Japanese
- Actively trying to learn new materials
- Attitude to deeply think what the essence of the matter is
- Some level of fluency in Japanese
- Have specialized knowledge in satellites’ system development
- One or more of the following:
- Experience in structural analysis (creation of analysis model, strength / stiffness analysis, modification of mechanical design based on analysis results)
- Experience in thermal analysis (creation of analysis model, temperature prediction analysis, modification of mechanical design based on analysis result)
- Knowledge of mechanical design of optical telescopes
- Knowledge of mechanical design of unfolded structures
- Experience in conducting vibration tests on mechanical products (sine wave / random wave as test content)
- Experience in conducting temperature tests on mechanical products (equipment used is a thermal vacuum chamber or a constant temperature bath)
- Knowledge of the properties of metallic materials
- Knowledge of adhesive properties.
- Knowledge of the properties of composites.
- Experience in assembling mechanical hardware.
Work Environment and Conditions
- Employment Type: Permanent, full-time
- Work Hours: Flextime OR Discretionary Labor System
- Salary: TBA
- Commuter’s Allowance provided (Actual Cost Reimbursement)
- Pay Revision: Once a year, decided upon annual performance evaluation
- Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, Japanese national holidays and New Year holidays
- Leave: Annual paid and unpaid leaves provided (& five-year bonus holidays, special leaves for personal events)
- Relocation Assistance for those moving from abroad
- Opportunity to attend optional Japanese language lesson
- No Smoking On Site
Notes on application
Please upload your resume/CV (in a single file) to the “Resume” section of the application form. Also, please write about your qualities and motivation for application in the “Cover Letter” section.