Open Cosmos delivers satellite-based solutions designed to tackle Earth’s biggest challenges. We offer our customers everything needed to bring them actionable information from space; ranging from mission development software and payload qualification kits to ready-to-launch small satellite platforms and supporting services.
**This is an internship for 6 months to start ASAP**
Working for Open Cosmos
Aim high, go beyond! At Open Cosmos we are solving the world’s biggest challenges from space, providing businesses, governments and researchers access to more readily available information than ever before – ready for the challenge? Then read on…
Working in the Ground Segment Team
Open Cosmos Ground Segment Development Team builds satellite constellation control software that is used by internal operators and external customers alike, to operate a constellation of satellites. We also build and maintain tools to design future space missions and analyse the data we get back from the satellites. Our products are cloud-native and web-based applications built with modern technologies (microservices, kubernetes, golang, etc).
We work using a DevOps and Agile methodology, where we combine frequent iteration cycles with the responsibility of keeping the application operative. We are a small welcoming team with a high degree of flexibility that allows everyone in the team to make a big impact in the product, its final features, quality and maintainability.
What will you be doing?
In a true DevOps fashion, this role will help designing, implementing, testing, delivering and maintaining software modules for our web-based products. As part of the team, you will learn how to deliver good quality and maintainable code.
Resolving issues with new modules such as a scripting solution to allow automation in operations; increasing observability and tracing; improving our user experience by designing a new neat feature, all form part of this role.
As part of the role, you will be developing skills such as:
- Industry programming paradigms and standards
- API design and implementation
- Understanding of agile methodologies in practice
- DevOps practices
- Imagery data science
What you need to be successful
- You’ll be designing and implementing a new microservice so knowledge of docker, SQL databases, HTTP Rest, or GRPC is welcome.
- Demonstrates clear, concise communication skills, listening effectively, getting to the core of messages and responding appropriately
- Finishing second year in a relevant degree (as detailed above) with a GPA of 2:2 or higher
- Able to communicate effectively, actively listening and responding appropriately
- Able to relay complex information simply to technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to manage own time effectively, completing work within appropriate project timescales
- Displays a curious mindset with an innovative approach to work
- Has an eye for detail, delivering work that is polished and of good quality
- Displays critical thinking skills, always looking to develop improve work and own skills
- Works in an inclusive, respectful style
- Takes a proactive approach to learning and work