Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Solutions Architect I – Classified IT Infrastructure
The Solutions Architect helps define and guide many parts of the current and future state IT infrastructure architecture, encompassing all Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp. (BATC) classified systems. Making key contributions to the IT Infrastructure Architecture matrixed team, this role helps ensure standards and architectural principles are implemented consistently across project efforts. As a member of the Enterprise Architecture team, this role assists guiding IT efforts to be aligned in building a future state that delivers required capabilities while ensuring a supportable, documented, and efficient infrastructure environment. This position will focus on architecture and design within the classified areas of the company, aligning with the larger company-wide Infrastructure standards and guidance.
What You’ll Do:
- Solve business challenges via translating business needs to IT requirements, and leading project architectural design efforts to formulate efficient, standardized, and effective solutions.
- Develop and demonstrate architecture subject matter expertise focused on IT compute, storage, network, database, hypervisor and directory-based services.
- Work in concert with application architects in understanding and ensuring proper configuration and resourcing of enterprise applications within the classified environment.
- Assist the governance oversight process by contributing to assessment of business requirements, solution alternatives, designs, and standards compliance through project design reviews.
- Participate in innovation management activities: research, suggest, evaluate, rank, oversee proof-of-concept activities, and transfer knowledge of appropriate new technologies into the broader IT environment.
- Work with server, storage, network, database, hypervisor and directory services architects to align detailed technology-based standards to higher-level enterprise standards and philosophies.
- Understand and map required business capabilities to IT infrastructure services.
- Assist in creation of governance practices, standards, and strategies, including Cloud Security Audits, Mobile Strategies, Vendor Assessments, Technology Readiness, Roadmaps, and Solution Architectural Diagrams.
- Work with senior Infrastructure Architects to learn the environment, architectural practices, as well as inform the larger architecture team of activities within the classified areas assigned to this role
- Strive to grow into providing thought leadership in innovation, developing standards, architectural governance, and architectural best practices.
- Learn from senior IT Infrastructure Architects the IT standards and best practices to provide superior quality solutions for business requirements. Infuse architectural concepts like standards-based, configuration driven, scalable, extensible and manageable solutions.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need
- BS in Information Technology or a related technical field plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field with experience in IT infrastructure activities preferred.
- Working knowledge of all layers of multi-tier enterprise IT infrastructure systems, including compute (workstations and servers), storage (SAN, NAS, data protection and archiving), network (media, switches and routers), database (preferably SQL Server and Oracle), hypervisor (preferably VMware) and directory services (preferably Active Directory).
- Understanding of enterprise application architectures (3-tier, client/server, web, etc.) and how these relate and translate into infrastructure requirements.
- Proven ability to work independently and on own initiative.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are crucial, as well as ability to think clearly & analyze quantitatively.
- Detail oriented, and ability to meet, and exceed, quality standards.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with an ability to determine an appropriate level of detail given project milestones.
- Excellent planning, organizational, communication and time management skills.
- Manage and execute projects with a strong bias for action; ability to effectively prioritize projects and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to juggle many tasks and projects simultaneously in a fast-moving environment and must be a self-starter who is excited and curious about technology.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.