Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
The Strategic Operations (StratOps) Strategic Support Unit, consists of Washington DC Operations, Marketing & Communications and Strategic Development. The StratOps team promotes and elevates the business within our markets, works with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of Ball Aerospace and facilitates collaboration across the business enterprise to increase opportunities.
Director, Space Sciences
We are currently recruiting for a Director, Space Sciences for Ball Aerospace’s Strategic Operations (StratOps) organization located in the Washington, D.C. area. The Director, Space Sciences will be responsible for advancing and advocating for Ball Aerospace’s civil space programs and pursuits with the following Washington, D.C.-based stakeholders: NASA, OMB, OSTP, and the broader space sciences community.
This position reports to the VP/GM, Strategic Operations. The reporting location for the position is in Ball’s Arlington, VA office.
Ball Aerospace’s StratOps works collaboratively across Ball Aerospace and our stakeholder community to increase our profile in the market. The purpose of StratOps is to strategically position the company within our markets, work with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of the company and facilitate collaboration across the company.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely and work as an integrated team member with StratOps counterparts, civil space business unit, program managers, and business development teams to grow the company’s business in the space sciences;
- Represent Ball Aerospace in Washington, D.C. for business development in astrophysics, planetary science, and heliophysics with focus on NASA and other stakeholders as appropriate;
- Guide internal investments and capability development based on understanding customer priorities
- Produce and implement annual space science engagement strategy in coordination with the civil space business unit
- Coordinate strategies, messaging, and activities for the space sciences portfolio within StratOps and the civil space business unit team, consistent with company and business goals;
- Work and communicate with customers and stakeholders on behalf of current astrophysics, planetary science, earth science and heliophysics programs;
- Identify new business opportunities, assess policy issues, and track budget processes impacting the space sciences portfolio;
- Influence and shape future space sciences opportunities;
- Participate in development and execution of business strategies related to the civil space business unit;
- Develop broad relationships with customers and stakeholders in Washington, D.C., and develop contact plans for civil space leadership;
- Demonstrate thought leadership in the community, including engaging in industry association activities and participating in events of interest to Ball Aerospace.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 12 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Astrophysics, Planetary Science or a related field is preferred.
- PhD preferred.
- Self-starting, lean-forward attitude with a bias to action and a high standard of ethics;
- Demonstrated excellent leadership and interpersonal skills in relevant business environments with collaboration skills;
- Willing and able to work in a dynamic environment and possess an innovative spirit;
- Effective in working with people at all levels of an organization and willing to contribute wherever needed, providing leadership to operational activities as well as senior executives;
- Diplomacy, influencing, communication and team skills;
- Understanding of the NASA Science Mission Directorate and its programs including but not limited to technology development programs and Announcements of Opportunity;
- Understanding and/or experience working with the NASA Centers engaged in the space sciences portfolio
- Understanding of the ecosystem of space sciences stakeholders in Washington, D.C., the relevant science communities, and the relevant budget processes;
- Knowledge of the Decadal Survey process and excellent understanding of the contents of the current astrophysics, planetary science, earth science and heliophysics decadal surveys;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to translate technical information to a range of audiences;
- Understanding of the business development and proposal processes is a plus;
- Collaborative and inclusive style and ability to work with diverse colleagues and those working in other geographical areas. Well-honed interpersonal skills are a must.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, clean room, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.