Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior – Systems Analyst
This engineering position will have performance modelling and simulation as its area of specialization with a focus on leading the analysis effort for developing and implementing mission algorithms.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead data analysis to characterize sensor functionality and performance.
- Conduct data exploitation of geospatial data to solve characterization problems. Includes data processing, data analysis, tool development, analytic support, report writing, and presentations.
- Characterize the performance of remote sensing systems and relate sensor characteristics to the performance of automated and manual detection, classification, and characterization of targets.
- Perform data analysis using temporal, spatial, and/or spectral processing of EO/IR data.
- Design, build, and implement complex algorithms to support missions, payloads, and instruments.
- Provide systems engineering support to technical teams to develop allocations of requirements to Segment, Element, and Subsystem Specifications.
- Communicate mission level understanding.
- Work closely with program team and stakeholders to develop and demonstrate new capabilities to decision makers.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management and customers.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience in mission system, spacecraft systems, ground systems or payloads preferred.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: sensor applications including EO/IR/Radar analysis, GIS, data analysis, signal processing, and algorithm development.
- Experience in spectral analysis and image processing is desired.
- Ability to rapidly prototype new algorithm results and visualization is desired.
- Expertise writing code for data analysis with either ENVI/IDL, R, Python, or MatLab.
- Effective presentation skills with experience presenting technical results to senior customers and technical reviewers.
- Capacity to work with a geographically diverse team.
- Active TS/SCI, SSBI or Top-Secret clearance required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.