We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Vice President – Chief Engineer
Lead the Chief Engineer’s office including directing and managing our How We Engineer, How We Execute and Technical Chops initiatives. The How We Engineer initiative includes our transition to a digital engineering environment and the Fusion toolset as well as refining our engineering development and testing processes. The How We Execute initiative focuses on functional execution and our ability to improve program execution performance. The Technical Chops initiative includes managing our technical performance metrics, conducting independent technical reviews, and leading and coordinating our functional chief engineers. Ensure that our technical competence is world-class.
What You’ll Do:
- Across the Enterprise, chair change control boards as needed. Improve our technical risk management approach and processes.
- Ensure that customer technical requirements are met, and that products and services are developed and/or manufactured and delivered in a timely manner meeting customer quality standards and service requirements and providing an acceptable return to the company.
- Serve on the Engineering organization leadership team and influence the direction of the organization by exhibiting the tenants of Ball Aerospace’s leadership model of Inspire, Connect and Achieve. The expected behaviors would include being a breakthrough strategist, enabling impact at the enterprise level and being a champion of Ball’s culture specifically in area of Diversity and Inclusion
- Serve as an external interface to our customer’s engineering community. Maintain personal relationships with officers and employees of important and prospective customers, subcontractors, vendors and other industry executives.
- Participate in major bid decisions and subsequent cost reviews with specific regard to high risk, high potential, and fixed price opportunities.
- Participate in the development of strategic criteria, planning, analysis and decision making for expansion and growth of Ball Aerospace. Recommend objectives and long-range plans to achieve growth and financial profitability throughout the company.
- Ensure that all business is conducted using the highest ethical standards and in compliance with all applicable laws, statutes and regulations as well as company policies and directives.
- Maintain the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in related field plus 15 years or more related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Advanced degree preferred.
- Knowledge of complex business procedures and strategies.
- Ability to act in a leadership capacity, provide vision to those supervised, and guide departments and employees to ever higher levels of achievement.
- Ability to effectively relate with others and cooperate as a team member.
- Knowledge of aerospace industry and government contracting and billing procedures.
- Knowledge of aerospace and defense architectures and customer communities.
- Ability to effectively interact with customers and governmental figures at the highest levels.
- Work is performed in an office environment, laboratory, cleanroom, or production floor.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $250,000 – $275,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Subject to business performance and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in an incentive compensation plan.
- Subject to business and individual performance, and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in a long-term incentive compensation plan.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.