Defining the Category of Real-Time Geospatial Intelligence
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
As a technical, hands-on Software Development/Design Engineer in Test (SDET) your job is to participate in the manual & automation testing of our web-based application. You will be under the guidance of the manager of the Platform Test Team with many already-established testing processes. Your role will be that of a “full stack” QA Engineer with daily responsibilities that include development of new test procedures, review of existing procedures, and executing test plans both manual and automatic.
While the locations listed in the job posting are ideal, we would love candidates near either our Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA offices. We may also consider remote candidates in certain states.
- Perform system-level integration tests of BlackSky platform applications.
- Participate in design reviews and engineering standups.
- Contribute to and drive designs of test automation frameworks, test implementations, and approaches.
- Work with developers and architects to develop test plans.
- Create “right-sized” test plans that are a mixture of manual and automated testing, keeping resources in mind.
- Collaborate with developers to understand software design, function, and testability.
- Work with DevOps for testing in a CI environment, and monitoring health of components.
- Investigate anomalies by researching system design and source code when reproducing errors and write thorough, clear error reports.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in computer science, engineering, or related technical field OR a minimum of five years of experience testing and maintaining commercial software in a production environment.
- Familiarity with agile methodologies, software products and release life cycles, source code and change management.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Experience working with geospatial products.
- Team leadership experience.
- Experience with one or more of: Automated browser testing frameworks (ex. Selenium or Playwright), Docker containers, Amazon Web Services, ELK, API testing.
- Opportunities to lead API design and development efforts possible for appropriately qualified candidates.
- Familiarity with Scrum techniques and Jira tracking systems.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits-eligible employees includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $120,000-130,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: