Defining the Category of Real-Time Geospatial Intelligence
BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open-source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
As a Staff Software Engineer on our Analytics Integration team, you’ll be joining a small group of industry veterans who are passionate about writing quality software that solves real customer needs. Our development team comes from many development backgrounds (from game engines to cloud computing) and has experience across the entire stack. You will work closely with the team and internal customers to design, integrate, launch, and improve our latest machine learning/computer vision algorithms to enable BlackSky’s world-class geospatial analysis tools including active monitoring of ports, airports, and construction sites for change and anomaly detections.
While the locations listed in the job posting are ideal, we would love candidates near either our Herndon, VA or Seattle, WA offices. We may also consider remote candidates in certain states.
- Provide technical leadership to the team responsible for integrating analytics.
- Own and maintain services related to analytics integration, reviewing architectural designs and enforcing high code quality.
- Design, develop and document external and internal data services to implement scalable performant solutions for rapid imagery analytics processing with a focus on usability, consistency, and stability.
- Collaborate with other development teams within BlackSky to help design interfaces and implementations for analytics-related services core to the business.
- Provide insightful feedback during design sessions and to guide your team and catch issues before they make it into production.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Experience developing production software for at least 7 years.
- Proficiency designing, implementing, and using REST APIs. Related experience with our technology stack is a big advantage.
- Fluency in Python and are comfortable diving into other languages when necessary.
- Familiarity with common database technologies (SQL and NoSQL).
- Experience managing data and services in a cloud environment like AWS (preferred), GCE, or MS Azure
- Familiarity with machine learning and/or data pipelines.
- Experience working with data ingestion, storage, and analysis tools such as Elasticsearch, Redis, MongoDB, PostgresDB, etc.
- Experience with geospatial systems.
- Experience with GPU accelerated computing in Python.
Life at BlackSky for full-time benefits eligible employees includes:
- Medical, dental, vision, disability, group term life and AD&D, voluntary life and AD&D insurance
- BlackSky pays 100% of employee-only premiums for medical, dental and vision and contributes $100/month for out-of-pocket expenses!
- 15 days of PTO, 11 Company holidays, four Floating Holidays (pro-rated based on hire date), one day of paid volunteerism leave per year, parental leave and more
- 401(k) pre-tax and Roth deferral options with employer match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance and Travel Assistance Programs
- Employer matching donations
- Professional development
- Mac or PC? Your choice!
- Awesome swag
The anticipated salary range for candidates in Seattle, WA is $140,000-160,000 per year. The final compensation package offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on specific background and education. BlackSky is a multi-state employer, and this pay scale may not reflect salary ranges in other states or locations outside of Seattle, WA
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: