BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of geointelligence and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky is operating and deploying a constellation of high resolution imaging spacecraft to image the planet in near real time.
BlackSky is looking for a Constellation Operations Engineer to collaborate on a variety of projects related to the operation and sustainment of the BlackSky constellation of satellites. We are looking for exceptional engineers who enjoy working in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. The successful candidate will have a strong set of technical skills, experience in related projects, and an eagerness to solve challenging problems, helping to shape what and how we effectively turn customer tasks into imagery products.
As a part of our Constellation Engineering team, your responsibilities are expected to be wide ranging, spanning many different aspects of the constellation architecture including satellite systems, ground stations, ground and flightsoftware. Specifically, you will support the development and implementation of on-orbit satellite checkout and long-term sustainment plans, ensure we have robust operations processes and procedures, and work with our software teams to help automate these activities. Responsibilities may also include building custom tools for telemetry trending and analysis, helping to track overall constellation health and other trends. You will also serve a role in our control room during launch and early operations activities, working to make sure we can successfully bring our satellites into commercial service quickly and safely.
- Define processes and procedures for on-orbit operations for nominal and anomaly scenarios
- Collaborate with ground and flight software teams to define, implement, and test software tools and services focused on autonomous operations
- Participate in launch and early operations activities for BlackSky satellite launches, with occasional non-traditional work schedules required (short-term 24/7 operations support)
- Support constellation sustainment activities, including anomaly investigation, telemetry trending and analysis, and scheduled on-call support
- Develop and execute design verification activities across constellation segments, including spacecraft, ground stations, and ground/flight software
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Aerospace, Aeronautical or Mechanical Engineering
- Prior experience in a space operations environment, may include either satellites or launch vehicles
- Knowledge of satellite subsystems and RF ground systems
- Possess strong team and inter-team cooperation and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong understanding of audience
- Ability to sustain a workload effectively which has several concurrent independent activities
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder)
- Familiarity with STK, Linux, and Python highly desired
- Experience with the operation of autonomous systems (satellites or otherwise) preferred
- Self-starter with the ability to distill problems into actionable projects, with an eye towards optimization and improved efficiency.
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.