BlackSky is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. BlackSky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud-based processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of geointelligence and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky is operating and deploying a constellation of high resolution imaging spacecraft to image the planet in near real time.
BlackSky is looking for a talented and creative Satellite Systems Engineer to support the development, operation, and capability evolution of our BlackSky satellites. As part of the satellite systems engineering team, you are instrumental in supporting the satellite product line throughout all phases of the satellite development and operational lifecycle – including design, build, test, and operations. You will help ensure that the satellite constellations produced fully enable the BlackSky mission and seamlessly support the operations framework.
This position is a critical element of the BlackSky Satellite Systems Engineering team and is expected to work collaboratively with external satellite development teams to ensure success. The ideal candidate has satellite development, operations, and test experience; familiarity with satellite system engineering; and success working in a development oversight capacity. Additionally, the ideal candidate has demonstrated the ability to manage their own efforts over a broad scope of work as an independent contributor. Finally, the candidate should be an independent thinker with the demonstrated ability and willingness to lean in and solve new problems.
- Define and perform multidisciplinary engineering design trades to inform technology investment decisions
- Develop and use tools to model satellite and constellation systems and develop and track technical budgets (comm link budgets, pointing budgets, power budgets, mass budgets, etc.)
- Support Tiger Teams and Review Boards in root cause analyses for test/ops anomalies across all satellite subsystems
- Support satellite operations teams to resolve major anomalies, identify risks, and investigate opportunities for more efficient satellite utilization, with opportunity to support as Satellite Operator.
- Support review and oversight of avionics development and improvements – including circuit design, FPGA implementation, flight software architecting, and fault detection and response algorithms
- Manage and maintain top-level requirements for multiple systems in JAMA
- Engage with satellite design and manufacturing teams to ensure proper flow-down and verification of top-level requirements, and to track and independently verify technical budgets (Propulsion, Mass, Link, Power etc)
- Interface effectively with multidisciplinary teams, including satellite and ground system engineers, program management, software developers, IT, and systems engineering
- 3+ years of technical experience with satellite development, test, and/or operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- Broad knowledge of/experience with multiple satellite subsystems – including Avionics, C&DH, Communication, and Power Subsystems
- Enthusiasm for independent problem-solving, yet possessing strong inter-team cooperation and organization skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong understanding of audience
- Ability to multi-task within a startup, fast paced environment
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder)
- 5+ years relevant technical experience, preferably in a space systems development environment
- Advanced degree in engineering or related discipline with a focus on Space Systems
- Thorough understanding of satellite systems and associated subsystems
- Experience developing/coding analysis tools in Python, Matlab, or similar
- Experience defining and performing technical trades and analyses
- Experience managing one or more technical budgets (Link, Pointing, Power, Mass etc.)
- Experience with Root Cause Analysis
- Experience with hardware test and qualification (performance and environments) of satellite avionics, sensors and actuators
- Broad understanding of space systems and the interface/relationships between satellites and the other components of a space mission architecture
- Experience with launch integration
- Knowledgeable of space regulatory, compliance and export requirements and their effect on system design
- Familiarity with small satellite design and qualification processes and testing best practices
- Familiarity with JAMA, STK, Grafana, Atlassian (Confluence, JIRA) workflows
BlackSky is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.