Enabling Space Missions to Expand the Frontiers of Science
Blue Canyon Technologies (BCT) is leading the way in the New Space revolution! Our state-of-the-art systems are currently on missions from low Earth orbit to the Moon, near-earth asteroids, and to Mars. We create high-reliability spacecraft with significantly greater performance, much smaller size, and at a fraction of the cost of traditional space systems. We are involved in a wide range of projects for academic, commercial, and government applications. Join our innovative and dynamic company, as we build the small spacecraft of the future. Blue Canyon Technologies is seeking a talented and enthusiastic Solar Array Mechanical Engineer II to join our growing team. Well qualified applicants will be motivated and invested in company success.
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision benefits for you and your dependents effective the first of the month following the hire date
- Life insurance
- 401k (Matching 4% with a minimum 5% contribution)
- Generous PTO (3 weeks of vacation + 3 floating holidays, 2 weeks of sick time, 7 paid holidays throughout the year) and parental leave
- Break rooms stocked with snacks and drinks
Position Purpose: The Solar Array Mechanical Engineer II will work on the design, development, fabrication, testing, and deployment of solar arrays for small spacecraft from CubeSat-sized (10 cm square) up to ESPA sizes (30,000 cm square). Assignments are normally accompanied by general instructions and suggestions, outlining possible approaches, sources or information, and potential problems to be encountered with work reviewed regularly for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy, and accuracy. Tasks involve the exercise of independent judgment and discretion about matters of significance. May provide direction to design or technician staff.
- SolidWorks design and documentation, including the creation of detailed fabrication drawings with GD+T, assembly drawings, BOM’s, and authoring work instructions.
- A hands-on-hardware approach is necessary to problem-solve, create design improvements, and train peers.
- Give effective presentations to the team and customers.
- Design and procure manufacturing tooling.
- Create original designs, and update and maintain existing designs.
- Perform FEA using ANSYS, while working with a dedicated analyst using NASTRAN, to prove out designs before they go into production.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- BS degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years working in the composites industry or designing composite aerospace structures
- Strong SolidWorks, production drawing creation, and GD+T skills
- Excellent communication, analytical, organizational, strategic, and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of machine shop tolerancing and design for manufacturing
- Small mechanism design, analysis, and manufacturing experience
This job operates in a professional office environment but in a manufacturing company. This role uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This job operates in a professional laboratory environment in a manufacturing company. This role uses standard laboratory and manufacturing equipment such as computers, electronics test equipment, and associated office equipment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand, bend, reach, and walk. The position requires some light physical effort. This would require the ability to lift or move objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities are required by this job which includes close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Blue Canyon Technologies is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other protected factor. Blue Canyon Technologies is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact us.