Senior GNC Hardware Engineer – Lunar Transportation
Millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safe innovation. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment, dedication, and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight.
Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth! You will be part of the Flight Sciences Section in the Advanced Development Programs business unit.
As part of a hardworking team of diverse spacecraft development engineers, you will contribute to the procurement, development, analysis, test, and verification, of the GN&C sensors for one of our programs. You will support the full design life cycle of navigation sensor development, analysis, testing, verification/validation, and flight.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Own the development of GNC hardware requirements from system level specifications with flow downs to subsystem and component levels, and companion verification methods
- Support the design of the navigation and control architecture, hardware configuration with design studies, and execute sensor performance trades
- Own the procurement, vendor coordination, delivery, acceptance, installation, verification, validation, qualification, and certification of the navigation hardware
- Guide and perform testing and analyses such as flight test, thermal vacuum test, vibration test, etc. to validate top-level system specifications and requirements, and to establish performance specifications of the sensors
- Support the test and verification campaign of the GNC hardware
- Support the development and execution of component-level navigation test programs, including sensor characterization, sensor modeling, and integrated on-vehicle testing
- Support hardware-in-the-loop testing, on-vehicle functional testing, and flight testing
- Contribute to the GN&C subsystem technical lead with a multi-functional approach to facilitate subsystem and system level architectural decisions
- M.S. with 5+ years or B.S. with +7 years of confirmed experience in engineering or related field, preference for Aerospace and Electrical engineering
- Shown experience in development of spacecraft GNC systems or spacecraft avionics systems
- Previous experience in spacecraft navigation, ADCS, and control solutions
- Validated experience with at least two or more of the following GNC hardware: Inertial navigation units (gyros and accelerometers), Global Positioning System (GPS) receivers, star-trackers, reaction wheels, control moment gyros, torque bars, and/or, EO/IR sensors.
- Experience in sensor procurement, integration, and test support
- Operational knowledge of inertial and relative navigation sensors
- Demonstrated experience in verification and test of navigation systems
- Proficiency in creation of avionics requirements and procurement specifications
- Experience in designing, building, testing, or flying space vehicles
- Experience with spacecraft avionics communications protocols (RS-422, Spacewire, etc.)
- Experience in MATLAB/Simulink
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Ph.D. in Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge in the development of planetary spacecraft navigation
- Experience in spaceflight avionics
- Experience in hardware-in-the-loop simulation
- Experience in flight test of spacecraft navigation or avionics
- Proven system engineering and configuration leadership skills
- Experience with Windchill, Jama, and DOORS Next Generation
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $163,725-$240,130
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Discretionary bonus programs