Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space. Blue Origin believes it has an important role in building a road to space and lowering the cost of getting there. At Blue Origin, we’re working on this today by developing fully reusable launch vehicles and systems that are safe, reliable and affordable. Every launch vehicle is designed for human spaceflight from the beginning and able to ferry payloads to space.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will help design and develop rocket engines and propulsion systems that meet Blue Origin’s launch vehicle program requirements for various spaceflight systems. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Ownership over in the entire design cycle of flexible fluid system components including bellows, flex hose, and seals for all engine programs.
- Develop requirements and specifications for flexible fluid components including the authoring of acceptance/qualification test plans
- Perform and document all structural and fluid flow analysis for flexible elements
- Ownership over fluid component FMECA and develop risk mitigation plans
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert for design reviews and failure investigations
- Establish guidelines and best practices in the design, analysis and development of flexible fluid elements and contribute to lessons learned database.
- Integration of flexible fluid components in engine assembly and provide expected range of motion analysis to customers.
- Develop 3-D models, assembly & detail drawings, and source control documents
- Create documentation for assembly and testing of development and flight hardware
- Participate in new or existing fluid component and subsystem level testing including planning, execution, data reduction and analysis
- Mentorship and training of other engineers in the design of flexible elements.
- Passion for Blue Origin’s mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- Minimum of B.S. degree in engineering
- 15+ years relevant experience in flexible fluid component design and analysis
- Detail design of bellows, flex hoses and articulating fluid components
- Experienced in internal fluid flow analysis including flow induced vibrations.
- Experience with leak and flow testing of hardware using cryogenic fluids and high pressure gases
- Proficiency in 3D CAD programs (Creo preferred)
- Knowledge in the use of FEA analysis tools (ANSYS preferred)
- Management of components through the complete product lifecycle
- Knowledge of fabrication and quality control relative to various manufacturing processes
- Working knowledge of materials and treatments
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience in working with complex piping systems
- Knowledge of Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID)
- Working knowledge of fluid components such as valves, regulators, bellows and fittings
- Designing for manufacturing and assembly
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.