Millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth!
As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you will design, analyze, and verify guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) software for spaceflight systems. In this role, you will build on our existing human-rated GN&C software to improve reliability, enable capabilities, and reduce operating cost. You will also perform system analyses, including simulations and Monte-Carlo, to satisfy specifications and requirements and to drive system-level architectural decisions. Our team is responsible for the full life-cycle of GN&C development, from design through to unit, hardware-in-the-loop, on-vehicle functionality, and flight testing. You will contribute to a sophisticated multi-degree of freedom aerospace simulation and test framework, and develop and maintain design descriptions and supporting documentation.
You should be working in a fast-paced and sometimes uncertain environment, contributing to solutions, while demonstrating leadership, technical competence, and attention to detail. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- M.S. degree in aerospace, mechanical, electrical engineering, physics, or related field
- 2+ proven years of experience, or PhD with 3+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated knowledge in designing, modeling, testing, and flying aerospace guidance, navigation, and control systems
- Strong software and model development skills, particularly in MATLAB/Simulink
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to our inclusive culture.
- Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
- Knowledge of multi-body dynamics, flexible body dynamics, gas dynamics, fluids, thermodynamics, and/or fluid slosh
- Experience with electro-mechanical, hydraulic and electrical subsystems
- Experience anchoring/fitting first principles models to test data or high-fidelity external simulations using system identification or other numerical methods
- Experience developing and verifying physical models for the purpose of control design, component sizing, and system performance evaluation
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulation testing
- Experience supporting flight testing or launch operations
- Ability to continuously manage risk and become comfortable with lean software development techniques
- Proven system engineering, configuration management skills
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays