Mechanical Engineer III or Senior – Hydraulics
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a diverse and hardworking team of engineers, you will work on designing and developing key systems for Blue Origin’s new launch site at LC-36 (Cape Canaveral, FL). You’ll have the unique opportunity to be part of a great team building the mechanical and structural systems and GSE (Ground Support Equipment) needed for Blue Origin’s giant rocket, New Glenn! Come and join us!
- Responsibility for hydraulic systems for launch operations, architecture configuration, system performance modeling and failure modes analysis.
- Development of conceptual and detail design of hydraulic subsystems for launch support systems, including detail and assembly drawings, and specifications.
- Draft and review specifications and statements of work for both internal and supplier guidance.
- Oversee equipment fabrication, assembly, and installation, and active involvement in functional checkouts and commissioning of equipment.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering (or similar discipline).
- Minimum of 10 years experience designing hydraulic systems for aerospace/oil/gas/or similar industries.
- Experience in the design and operations of integrated hydraulic systems and their automated controls.
- Experience in hydraulic / fluid systems modeling and analysis.
- Experience with Solid modelling or plant modelling, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs) and configuration control of engineering and documentation.
- Proven hands-on experience operating and troubleshooting mechanical/hydraulic systems.
- Experience writing and executing test plans and procedures for qualification, acceptance, and operations of hazardous and/or safety critical components and systems.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- 4+ years direct experience in aerospace operations, GSE, launch vehicle processing or manufacturing related experience.
- Experience in design and analysis of GSE hydraulic systems.
- Experience creating fabrication and installation drawings.
- Experience with AutoCAD, PTC Creo/Windchill, or CATIA.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Discretionary bonus programs