Lunar Navigation Flight Software Engineer – Lunar Transportation
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedication and detailed attention toward safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling our vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
In order to support our commitment to our mission, we must return to the Moon permanently, and the Blue Moon Lander enables this goal. Blue Moon is a large, flexible, reusable commercial lander for cargo or crew. Our Lunar Pathfinder mission will demonstrate the lander’s core capabilities – including the privately funded BE-7 landing engine, precision landing sensors, and advanced integrated power and propulsion on an early New Glenn flight. The team building this vehicle is rethinking how space systems are designed.
As part of one of this hardworking team, you will take on the end-to-end development process of state estimation and navigation algorithms for the lander. You will work closely with other simulation, guidance, navigation, and control engineers to seamlessly integrate navigation with the rest of the GN&C system.
We are looking for our engineers to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Own the software development process for navigation algorithms, culminating with its deployment onto a target platform for real-time execution
- Verify the navigation software implementation via a closed loop and open Monte Carlo, and unit testing.
- Be responsible for the development and deployment of embedded software, including sensor I/O
- Support the navigation team in the development and test of embedded navigation software including sensor and sensor-data management using MATLAB/Simulink auto coding, C, or C++
- Collaborate on the implementation of the processor-in-the-loop, software-in-the-loop and hardware-in-the-loop testing, on-vehicle functional testing, and flight testing
- Support the development of state estimation and sensor fusion algorithms for inertial and relative spacecraft navigation
- Support the development and execution of component-level navigation test programs, including sensor characterization, sensor modeling, and integrated on-vehicle testing
- B.S. or M.S. in computer science, aerospace engineering, or related technical field
- 5+ years experience in navigation flight software development for space vehicles
- Proven experience with build systems, version control, and testing methodologies
- Shown experience in the synthesis of state estimation algorithms and Kalman filters for spacecraft navigation.
- Demonstrated experience with hardware and software integration and testing, including experience with sensor device drivers and I/O
- Strong software design and development skills, including skills in debugging, performance optimization, and unit testing.
- Strong MATLAB/Simulink and auto coding experience
- Experience in verification and test of embedded software and systems
- Operational knowledge of inertial and relative navigation sensors
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Ph.D. in computer science, aerospace engineering, or related technical field
- Experience in vision-based navigation, and familiarity with image processing, and feature detection techniques
- Experience in the development of navigation systems that include measurements from GPS and optical sensors
- Proven knowledge in the development of planetary spacecraft navigation systems
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site CO applicants is 123,750-$181,500
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $135,000-$198,000
Compensation range for on site CA applicants is $135,000-$198,000
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Discretionary bonus programs