Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space. Blue Origin believes it has an important role in building a road to space and lowering the cost of getting there. At Blue Origin, we’re working on this today by developing fully reusable launch vehicles and systems that are safe, reliable and affordable. Every launch vehicle is designed for human spaceflight from the beginning and able to ferry payloads to space.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety and operational excellence. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
The Sr. Manager, Test Operations role is responsible for managing the BE-4 engine test stand in Van Horn, Texas. The Sr. Manager is a leader of a diverse and passionate team of engineers and technicians who perform rocket engine test operations and test stand maintenance activities. The Sr. Manager works closely with BE-4 Engine Program Management, resident BE-4 stakeholders, Test Operations senior leaders and support organizations to safely and efficiently plan, prepare and conduct BE-4 test operations on a multi-cell test stand. The Sr. Manager is responsible for effectively planning and managing capital, overhead and labor budgets, and managing capital improvement projects. Effective communications and strategic planning are vital to a successful Sr. Manager.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- BS degree in engineering or related field
- 5+ year as a manager of a technical team
- 3+ years in an operations environment in large industry, petrochemical, or aerospace facilities
- Strong background in fluid dynamics and thermodynamics
- Strong project management, team leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding technical and non-technical writing and verbal skills
- Demonstrated leadership in establishing a high performing safety culture
- Demonstrated habitual drive to correct errors at their root and not pass them downstream
- Demonstrated effectiveness in setting high standards of performance and holding teams accountable
- Demonstrated effectiveness in implementing continuous improvement to improve processes, methods and practices
- Demonstrated effectiveness in conflict-resolution and an ability to bring a group to a decision
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Demonstrated technical expertise in liquid rocket engine test stand design, operation and maintenance
- Demonstrated technical expertise in component and system level testing of propulsion and spaceflight hardware through development, qualification, and acceptance test campaigns
- Previous experience operating in Process Safety Management environment
- Knowledge of fabrication and integration processes, systems engineering and quality control practices
- MS in engineering or MBA degree or PMP certification
To conform to U.S. Government commercial space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, lawfully admitted for permanent residence into the U.S. (i.e. current green card holder), or lawfully admitted as a refugee or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1157-1158. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Blue Origin is committed to taking affirmative steps to promote the employment and advancement of minorities, women, protected veterans, and persons with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and federal executive orders. Applicants who wish to view the available portion of Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.