Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for developing and qualifying battery hardware products in support of New Glenn mission. You will have technical responsibility for the whole life cycle design of the battery system, including electronics, cell testing, hardware testing, software testing, radiation testing, system integration, and coordinating with other cross-functional team to assure successful delivery of flight hardware for re-usable launch vehicles.
We are looking for someone to apply their deep Electrical Power Systems technical expertise, natural leadership and organizational skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact the bold missions at Blue Origin. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
As a Responsible Engineer (RE) for battery hardware, you are responsible for all technical aspects of the supplier product development and technical management.
- Establish requirements for the energy storage system, including battery and ground support equipment.
- Author and life cycle owner of the battery requirements specification.
- Work closely with the supplier through the build, test, and delivery of flight hardware.
- Provide Battery Systems subject matter expertise on the design, manufacturing, and operations of lithium-ion batteries.
- Support the development and approval of the hardware requirements, test plans and procedures and reports in compliance with company and industry standards.
- Support battery risk analyses, failure modes effects and criticality analyses (FMECA), design for test/manufacture/cost (DFx), and root-cause analysis of test discrepancies.
- Effectively communicate technical development status, risks, and challenges and recommended resolutions to management.
- Provide technical support during flight build, test, and delivery to other areas of the technical execution team.
- Serve as the subject matter expert for integration into the vehicle and assist in troubleshooting.
- Team with the Blue Origin technical project manager and the supplier team to accomplish the project objectives.
- Battery Management System schematic, PCB, PCBA review and approval.
- B.S. in Electrical, Aerospace Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years of experience in battery development
- Experience with power, battery, and battery management system design.
- Experience with technical requirements management.
- Familiarity with lithium-ion batteries including cell level and battery test methods for qualification and flight acceptance.
- Background developing battery systems or power electronics for aerospace applications.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the mechanical and electronic assembly product lifecycle.
- Highly organized team player with excellent technical communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to travel to and work at remote sites supporting the subcontractor life cycle, Blue Origin test integration, commissioning, and training.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Advanced graduate degree in Engineering or related disciplines.
- 7+ years of battery development experience in aerospace applications.
- Demonstrated experience specifying and designing high reliability safety-critical power electronics, familiarity with battery standards.
- Background with space avionics systems hardware development, integration, and test.
- Experience across the full product development lifecycle: concept definition, architecture, requirements capture and development, implementation, verification, system integration, qualification, and release.
- Proficiency with common electrical engineering design and simulation software (LTspice, MATLAB, Simscape).
- Experience with systems engineering tools such as DOORS Next Gen.
- Passion for aerospace and the development of human spaceflight.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays