DataOps Engineer – Data Platform
Blue Origin’s Enterprise Data Management and Analytics team is creating scalable data infrastructure to enable a smooth and safe road to space. As a DataOps Engineer on our data platform team, you will be responsible for setup, deployment, maintenance, and continuous monitoring of data-intensive applications. Your work will directly support the operation of production software while also enabling the developer experience for data engineers and data scientists. You will bring a software engineering approach to positively impact our culture of ownership, reliability, trust and observability across the ever-increasing scope of our Data Platform.
Our tech stack at glance:
- Amazon Web Services
- Kubernetes and Docker
You will apply your technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Configure, deploy, scale and administer open source and commercial software that constitutes our enterprise data platform
- Design and manage high-availability solutions to meet business continuity and disaster recovery requirements
- Create self-service tooling to facilitate developer experience, i.e., to empower creation of data-rich secure sandbox and development environments
- Act as liaison from the Data Platform team to our central SRE and CyberSec teams to ensure an efficient, aligned and cohesive total picture
- Ensure that adequate troubleshooting tools, logging, documentation, monitoring and alerting are implemented for all production-level software systems
- Contribute to and curate the runbooks and documentation that cover incident response, development, configuration, maintenance etc.
- Mentor data engineers and data scientists in modern cloud infrastructure; act as subject matter expert on Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, CI/CD
- Collaborate with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS technologies
- Practice sustainable incident response and blameless postmortems
- College degree in information technology or equivalent work experience
- Previous ownership of mission-critical shared infrastructure
- 2+ years of experience with containerization technologies (such as Docker) and orchestration platforms (such as Kubernetes)
- 2+ years and working knowledge/fluency in at least one modern programming or scripting language – Python highly preferred
- Deep experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred), especially as pertains to data-intensive applications
- Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code, especially Terraform
- Experience with CI/CD tools such as Gitlab CI/CD
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to execute in a fast paced, often ambiguous work environment
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Understanding of data management fundamentals and data storage principles
- Understanding of common data integration patterns (e.g. pub/sub, enterprise service bus)
- Familiarity and experience with permission models and best practices, especially AWS IAM
- Strong shell scripting skills
- AWS Cloud Practitioner or similar accreditation
- Experience building/operating highly available, distributed systems of data extraction, ingestion and processing
- Skills and experience with relational database technologies – SQL, query performance tuning, database design, monitoring, operating, and scaling
- Experience being responsible for production database systems including SQL and NoSQL
- Familiarity with streaming data frameworks such as Apache Kafka
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays