Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space. Blue Origin believes it has an important role in building a road to space and lowering the cost of getting there.
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
This position resides within the Flight Sciences Section of the Advanced Development Programs business unit. As part of a hardworking team of diverse engineers, you will guide the development of the fully reusable next-generation space transportation system. You will be responsible for the development of guidance algorithms, performing analyses and trade studies, derivation and development of subsystem requirement, creation of flight software leveraging Model Based Development paradigm and supporting the full lifecycle of GN&C design through flight completion.
We are looking for our engineers to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and dedication to quality to positively impact safe spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Apply innovative techniques to GN&C algorithm development to accomplish sophisticated mission objectives
- Prototype algorithms in Matlab/Simulink
- Lead early feasibility studies, development of subsystem architecture, definition of subsystem and component trade space, and concept of operations
- Support the derivation and development of subsystem requirements
- Perform analyses and trades to validate requirements
- Collaborate closely with other subsystems and spaceflight systems engineers to support the development of subsystem boundaries, interfaces, and performance
- Define, develop, and execute simulations and tools vital for analysis and verification of subsystem functionalities
- Autogenerate flight software code in a Model Based Development environment
- Perform verification and testing, ensuring the subsystem aligns with its requirements
- Support hardware-in-the-loop testing, system certification and flight readiness activities
- Assist in real-time flight support during missions
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering or related technical subject area
- Proven experience in guidance algorithm development specifically for trajectory design, trajectory optimization and onboard guidance implementation
- Demonstrated experience with guidance law design for atmospheric re-entry
- Familiarity with development of requirements, interfaces, trades and analyses for aerospace GN&C applications
- Understand the relationship between GN&C, vehicle configuration, aerodynamics, actuation, sensors, and automation
- Broad knowledge of all other aspects of GN&C
- Expertise in Matlab/Simulink
- Robust understanding of software and data configuration management techniques
- Experience in configuration management tools such as Subversion, GIT, PVCS, etc
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- M.S. or PhD in Aerospace Engineering or related technical subject area
- 15+ years proven experience in development, implementation and testing of GN&C systems for aerospace vehicles
- Demonstrated technical leadership experience through the full lifecycle of system development
- Familiarity with different guidance schemes such as Lambert, Powered-Explicit-Guidance (PEG), Powered-Descent-Guidance, Pro-Nav, Generalized Energy Management, etc
- Experience with guidance law design for orbital re-entry, hypersonic, supersonic, subsonic through landing flight phase
- Deep knowledge of astrodynamics and orbit mechanics
- Experience with vehicle design considerations such as OML and TPS for hypersonic re-entry
- Experience working with GN&C sensors and actuators
- Experience in full lifecycle development of GN&C subsystem on complex spaceflight vehicles
- Experience synthesizing and evaluating Monte Carlo simulations, hardware-in-the-loop, and software-in-the-loop testing
- Experience in spaceflight GN&C hardware, software, operations, and/or ground support
- Familiarity with requirements databases such as DOORS/DNG, Cameo
- Experience with performing system safety analyses including Functional Hazard Assessments; Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analyses; and Fault Tree Analysis
- Experience with collaboration tools such as Confluence and JIRA
- Proficiency in C/C++ for software development and Python for scripting
The expected salary range for the position is displayed in accordance with the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Final agreed upon compensation is based upon individual qualifications and experience. Estimated hourly wage (Colorado only): $142K – $214K
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays