Aerodynamics Engineer II/V – New Glenn
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
This posting is for levels II – V and can be catered based on the individual who applies.
As part of a small, passionate, and accomplished team of experts, you will support all aspects of aerodynamic and aerothermodynamic design for both atmospheric and transitions to/from atmospheric flight for various spaceflight systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of the systems through their entire lifecycle from early conceptual design and configuration through flight operations and sustaining engineering. You will be responsible for the development of aerodynamic and aerothermodynamic models and databases for space launch and reentry vehicles as well as modeling the corresponding flight mechanics/dynamics using hand calculations, engineering methods, numerical methods, and detailed test methods. Among the other responsibilities of this position are constructing analytical models to represent internal flow phenomena within tanks, diffusers, and fluids networks.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Minimum of BS degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- 5+ years of experience with space vehicle aerodynamics, aerothermodynamics, or flight mechanics
- Strong aerodynamic fundamentals and intuition through multiple flight regimes (subsonic, transonic, supersonic, hypersonic, free molecular flow)
- Strong technical troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated experience with aerodynamic testing, CFD and engineering level methods
- Demonstrated experience with automation and data manipulation using scripting and programming languages
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- MS or higher degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience in launch, spacecraft and reentry systems
- Experience creating and modeling 3 DOF and 6 DOF trajectories
- Demonstrated experience with CFD solvers CFD++, FUN3D LAURA, DAC, and pre/post-processing tools, Pointwise, Ensight, Tecplot
- Experience supporting wind tunnel testing, flight testing, including data reduction and post-flight data analysis
- Experience with stability and control design
- Experience with aerodynamic tool development using MATLAB, Python, C/C++
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Discretionary bonus programs