Avionics PCB Layout Engineer – Lunar Transportation
The Lunar Transportation Business Unit is Blue Origin’s team dedicated to developing mission architectures, creating, and fostering new technologies into our existing offerings, building our next generation of leaders, and commercializing new platforms, such as our planned Lunar Lander program, Blue Moon, and other ambitious space destinations programs that fuel Blue Origin’s growth and further its mission. Our work scope is broad and deep, forging the path toward our vision of millions of people living and working in space. We’re shaping our future in space, and we’re looking for dedicated and inspired people to join us!
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
We are looking for someone to apply their hardware technical expertise, natural leadership, organizational skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact the bold missions at Blue Origin.
As the Avionics PCB Layout Engineer within this innovative and diverse team, you will apply a deep understanding of digital, analog, mixed-signal, high-speed, and high-power PCB layout, and design skills for our avionics circuit designs.
Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Design and layout of high-performance, high-reliability PCBs for aerospace applications
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, firmware, and software engineers to ensure design requirements are met
- Work with industry-leading software (e.g.: Altium Designer) to create detailed schematics and layout design
- Ensure design and manufacturing practices adhere to industry standards and regulations
- Create and maintain technical documentation for PCB layout and design
- Troubleshoot and resolve any PCB design and layout issues
- Provide technical support and guidance to junior engineers and technicians
- Contribute to electrical circuit designs and schematic reviews.
- Contribute to PCB/PCBA design reviews by providing DFM/DFA/DFT and similar value-added info.
- Develop and maintain board eCAD design libraries, including part footprints and related information.
- Demonstrate a sense of urgency, commitment, and focus on the right priorities in each PCB design.
- Independently determine the general approach and provide reliable solutions to technical problems including working through complex issues related to PCB layouts and assemblies.
- Collaborate in defining PCB development process improvements (procedures and checklists).
- Check the quality of work of other layout resources, including internal and external resources.
- Mentor internal layout resources on PCB layout and Altium best practices.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in PCB layout and design, specifically in the aerospace and defense industry
- Strong understanding of digital, analog, mixed-signal, and high-speed layout, and design
- Experience using industry-leading software such as Allegro, Altium Designer, Eagle PCB, Proteus, etc.
- Ability to create detailed schematics and layout design
- Familiarity with industry standards and regulations such as IPC-6012 Class 3
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of PCB best practices for design, manufacturing, and testing, including PCB assembly to IPC Class 3 standards.
- High-speed, impedance-controlled stack-up, multi-layer board layout design
- Fine pitch BGA routing, including blind–buried vias.
- Complex analog and digital signal routing.
- Multi-rail power delivery and high-speed signal integrity constraints.
- Design constraint management; including trace length matching, spacing rules, etc.
- Ability to create and maintain symbol/footprint libraries.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Excellent attention to detail and strong task ownership, someone who demonstrates pride in all work.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
- Experience utilizing and creating electrical design specifications.
- Desire to work hands-on, both independently and as part of a team, throughout the development and production phases of the mechanical and electronic assembly product lifecycle
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and strengthen our culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Certifications such as:
- CID (Certified Interconnect Designer)
- CIS (Certified IPC Specialists)
- CSE (Certified Standards Expert)
To conform to U.S. Government commercial space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, lawfully admitted for permanent residence into the U.S. (i.e., current green card holder), or lawfully admitted as a refugee or granted asylum under 8 U.S.C. § 1157-1158. Learn more about the ITAR here.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated workforce. Blue Origin hires and promotes people based on their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to view a copy of Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.