Manager – Design – Tooling Engineering
We are a diverse team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers who are relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedication and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable space flight. Join us in lowering the cost of access to space and enabling Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit Earth.
Blue Origin is developing the next generation launch and space vehicle manufacturing facility on Florida’s Space Coast at our Orbital Launch Site Manufacturing Complex. We are in search of a manager of our Tooling Engineering (TE) design team. The applicant will not only need to be an effective manager, but also a skilled engineer. They will lead a team of engineers in the design, specification, procurement, and operation of Ground Support Equipment (GSE) and tooling used for launch vehicle production and testing. The TE group interfaces directly with vehicle production, launch systems, and other test and operational groups. We put a strong emphasis on design capability and hands-on technical ability, as our managers are directly involved with design, analysis, equipment operation, trouble-shooting, and active engagement with engineering.
We are looking for someone to apply their technical expertise, leadership skills, and commitment to quality to positively impact safe human spaceflight. Passion for our mission and vision is required!
- Lead a team of Tooling Design Engineers
- Prioritize and assign Work
- Mentor Engineers growth
- Coordinate directly with manufacturing, operations, and product development personnel to understand operational requirements and develop GSE to meet those requirements.
- Work with CAD models and drawings in PTC Creo.
- Develop and approve design specifications, performance specifications, fabrication specifications, acceptance test procedures, and maintenance plans, for development of GSE.
- Manage external design and fabrication partners through complete project lifecycle (requirements gathering through delivery and acceptance) to ensure GSE is functionally correct and meets requirements set forth in specifications.
- Coordinate directly with technical personnel to plan and support GSE maintenance activities to ensure equipment availability and operational safety.
- Represent GSE considerations in manufacturing, operational, and program technical reviews
- Evaluate and approve designs and analysis performed by other engineers and vendors
- Oversee equipment fabrication, assembly, and installation
- Active involvement in functional checkouts and commissioning of equipment
- Maintain and report on activity schedule, budget and technical status
- Create and present technical documentation that clearly conveys design intent and adherence to standards, requirements, and specifications.
- Travel approx. 10% of time
- Minimum of a bachelors college degree in mechanical, aerospace, electrical, structural, industrial, or manufacturing engineering; or other major requiring engineering or manufacturing core courses
- 10+ years’ experience with design and integration of mechanical systems (mechanisms, power transmission components, hydraulics, fluids systems, etc.), electrical systems/components, control systems, support frames/structures, and/or lifting fixtures.
- Design of GSE for production, manufacturing, and testing of launch vehicles and launch vehicle support systems.
- Proven ability to drive complex projects to completion
- Experience with revision control and data configuration.
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion.
- A continuous improvement mentality. Our job is never complete; we are always optimizing.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- FEA Analysis and hand calculations of structural, mechanical or fluid components.
- Experience working on aerospace development programs, production lines, or field operations in both design and hands-on roles; experience on commercial development programs a plus
- Customer focused with strong communication skills
- A demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with teams of diverse skills across large geographic distances
- Experience with multiple CAD packages, CATIA, SolidWorks, etc.
- Hands on fabrication, assembly, or maintenance experience
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that some people are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single desired qualification. At Blue Origin, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
Compensation range for on site WA applicants is $127,170-$186,516
Compensation range for on site CA applicants is $127,170-$186,516
Other site ranges may differ
Export Control Regulations
Applicants for employment at Blue Origin must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (i.e. current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Blue Origin is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and is committed to attracting, retaining, and developing a highly qualified, diverse, and dedicated work force. Blue Origin hires and promotes people on the basis of their qualifications, performance, and abilities. We support the establishment and maintenance of a workplace that fosters trust, equality, and teamwork, in which all employees recognize and appreciate the diversity of individual team members. We provide all qualified applicants for employment and employees with equal opportunities for hire, promotion, and other terms and conditions of employment, regardless of their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, and/or local law. Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. For more information on “EEO Is the Law,” please see here and here.
Blue Origin will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Washington Fair Chance Act, Los Angeles Fair Chance in Hiring Ordinance, and other applicable laws.
Affirmative Action and Disability Accommodation
Applicants wishing to receive information on Blue Origin’s Affirmative Action Plans, or applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application and/or interview process, please contact us at EEOCompliance@blueorigin.com.
Employee Benefits include: Medical, dental, vision, basic and supplemental life insurance, short and long-term disability and 401(k) with up to 5% company match.
Paid Time Off: Provides up to 4 weeks per year, in addition to 14 holidays
Discretionary bonus programs