Blue Origin is empowered by a vision where millions of people are living and working in space. To achieve our vision, we are developing reusable rocket engines and launch vehicles that will dramatically lower the cost of access to space. Driven by our motto, Gradatim Ferociter or “step by step, ferociously,” our incremental approach builds upon each success as we develop ground-breaking spaceflight systems. We don’t just build rockets—we build a culture around methodical innovation and exploration.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for functional management of Materials & Processes engineers supporting Metallic and Soft Materials for launch vehicle Engines systems. You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of material characterization, supporting design for producibility, and new material development. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Provide technical and personnel leadership to M&P Engineers within Blue Engines’ Materials & Processes Engineering Team
- Personal ownership of technical M&P scope in addition to functional management responsibilities
- Lead the development of internal engineering and quality processes to standardize and accelerate material evaluation, implementation, and qualification.
- Manage engineers who provide broad materials & processes support for metallic (e.g. forging, casting, forming, extrusion, plating, coating, brazing, anodization, passivation) and non-metallic (e.g. o-rings, seals, lubricants) hardware.
- Collaborate closely with design, analysis, manufacturing, quality, and integration engineers, as well as functional management, to develop and implement requirements
- Coordinate and review production drawing for large complex assemblies systematically, documenting the review to the established requirements.
- Lead and coordinate internal and external Materials & Processes efforts, including First Article Inspection, mechanical test, and customer-facing updates.
- Manage roles, responsibilities, and accountability for each direct report and across the team
- Manage department budgets, staffing levels, and performance evaluations
- 5+ years directly related experience
- Minimum B.S. in Material Science Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- In-depth understanding of Materials & Processes engineering principles
- Strong personnel and project management skills
- Understanding of product life cycle management and associated gate reviews
- Experience managing direct reports and projects or programs
- Experience managing an engineering team in a production environment
- Experience in developing and managing to department financial targets
- Demonstrated experience (M&P signatory authority) on a flight production program.
- Hands on experience measuring, analyzing, developing, characterizing nickel, aluminum, copper, and oxygen-compatible alloys, and utilize these materials in aerospace applications.
- Proven experience developing and executing test plans for analysis and qualification of components, materials, and processes.
- Familiarity with standard methods for testing mechanical properties (including fatigue, fracture, creep, stress rupture) of metallic and soft materials
- Strong written and personal computer skills.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Masters or PhD in Material Science/Engineering or related field
- Experience with statistical analysis methods and related tools
- Experience organizing and managing materials and process-related data in a company accessible database
- Familiarity with high-temperature, high pressure Oxygen Engines applications
- Familiarity with analysis, testing, and mitigation for Hydrogen Embrittlement
- Hands-on skills with SEM, EDS, metallography, mechanical testing.
- Demonstrated experience developing new aerospace processes and refining existing ones
- Experience running ambient, elevated temperature, and cryogenic thermomechanical testing
- Experience with Failure and Forensic Analysis experience for rotating machinery (e.g. turbomachinery) and static hardware
- Experience with statistical analysis for preparation of design allowables
- Knowledge of industry standards for material data analysis (e.g. MMPDS)
- Proven experience managing technology development projects, measuring technical progress, resources, and managing budgets.
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.