Blue Origin was founded with a vision to enable a future where millions of people are living and working in space to benefit Earth. In order to preserve Earth, Blue Origin believes in the need to enable humanity to expand, explore, find new energy and material resources, and move industries that stress Earth into space. Blue Origin believes it has an important role in building a road to space and lowering the cost of getting there. At Blue Origin, we’re working on this today by developing fully reusable launch vehicles and systems that are safe, reliable and affordable. Every launch vehicle is designed for human spaceflight from the beginning and able to ferry payloads to space.
As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be responsible for the hands-on design and development of turbomachinery for various spaceflight systems. You will lead the team’s impact on all aspects of turbomachinery and rocket engine development and operation. This role involves team engagement and the ability to drive operational excellence, holding the team to high standards. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Integral responsibility for the creation of power dense turbomachinery enabling payloads and humans to escape earth’s gravity. This includes participation in the entire design cycle of turbomachinery from turbopump layouts to component design of pumps, turbines, shafts, housings, bearings, and seals, to the maturation of these components and the overall system through development testing.
- Technical involvement and oversight of the rocket pumps ensuring on time delivery while meeting engine system driven requirements
- Plan and execute technology development plans that will unlock the gate to increased space exploration
- Create a highly collaborative environment that encourages thoughtful decision making with solid rationale
- Develop, execute, and improve technical processes in the turbomachinery design and development cycle by formulating and implementing preventative and corrective actions
- Develop and mature tools specific to the design and development of turbomachinery
- Ensuring component and system performance and health through development testing and design iterations, supporting hardware builds and leading post-test data reviews
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in mechanical or aerospace engineering
- 10+ years’ experience in turbomachinery component design, development, and testing
- Ability to effectively lead multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams
- Proven track record of developing rocket pump systems
- Experience with rotating machinery component design including turbines, impellers, housings, bearings, and seals
- Knowledge of hydrodynamics, aerodynamics, secondary flow systems, and rotordynamics
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with turbomachinery specific to rocket engine applications
- Proficiency in 3D CAD programs (Creo Pro/E preferred)
- Knowledge in the use of FEA analysis tools (ANSYS preferred)
- Experience with cryogenic fluids and oxygen compatibility
- Experience with castings, forgings, machined parts and other advanced manufacturing techniques
- Experience with high speed data acquisition and instrumentation using accelerometers and proximity probes
- Experience post-processing data to assess component health, rotordynamic performance and cavitation phenomena
- Knowledge of NPSH testing and cavitation suppression techniques
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.