We are a team of collaborators, doers, and problem-solvers relentlessly committed to a culture of safety. As part of a small, hardworking, and accomplished team of specialists, you will support the development, operation, and maintenance of Blue Origin’s mechanical, pneumatic and hydraulic test laboratories to support various spaceflight systems. Working directly with engineers and laboratory technicians, you will drive improvements in system performance to support the Blue Origin vision of building a road to space.
You will share in the team’s impact on all aspects of development activities as we help business units achieve their mission! This hands-on position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Design, plan, fabricate, install and operate pneumatic and hydraulic test capabilities supporting development and qualification of fluid system components for launch vehicle applications
- Develop and execute test plans and procedures; perform subsequent data reduction and reviews
- Understand and troubleshoot fluid and instrumentation systems
- Perform root cause analyses, system hazard analyses, and failure investigations
- Plan and oversee fluid systems maintenance
- Identify opportunities for cost savings and safety improvements
- Design, define, procure, and install system components and materials; manage vendors and subcontractors during installation
- Proactively prepare status updates and communicate with internal and external customers
- Ensure work is completed in accordance with Blue Origin policies and procedures
- Review and approve critical test and characterization reports from internal and external laboratories
- Create and develop company-level plans and policies for pneumatic and hydraulic system testing
- Passion for our mission: Millions of people living and working in space!
- B.S. degree in Engineering or equivalent knowledge or fundamentals
- 5+ years’ direct experience in the design, development, or operation of pneumatic and/or hydraulic systems in test or research/development facilities
- Working knowledge of a variety of fluids including nitrogen (gas and liquid cryogen), helium, and hydraulic fluids
- Experience with CAD, Windchill, Creo, Team Centered Engineering, or Unigraphics
- Strong, demonstratable ability and desire to understand complex systems, investigate and solve challenging problems, and work in a dynamic environment
- Experience writing technical procedures, standards, and specifications
- Understanding of safe lab practices, FOD/5S mitigation, and chemical hygiene
- Strong attention to detail, and ability to work with reactive and hazardous chemicals
- Ability to earn trust, maintain positive and professional relationships, and contribute to a culture of inclusion
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in test stand design, operations, and maintenance
- Pressurized gas systems
- Fluid systems
- Instrumentation and controls
- ASME codes and local building standards
- Strong project management and team leadership skills
- Understanding and experience with hazardous operations and design for system safety
- Experience with civil engineering projects, facility space and utilities planning
- Experience with 3D CAD tools and data management
- Knowledge of test facility instrumentation, data acquisition, and control systems
- Proficiency in LabView, Python, MATLAB
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue’s principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.